Mac Baren TAD - It’s ARO time!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I have very limited experience with Mac Baren aromatics, having mostly dabbled in their HH series blends. I do enjoy Aros on occasion...and I’m looking forward to Winter fireside puffing. So dipping a toe in this pond seemed like a good idea (at the time). Hey...what could go wrong?

I’ve never tried any of these, but they are very highly recommended by the nimrods at the Tobacco Review site.

1. Mac Baren MIXTURE Scottish Blend 100g tin
2. Mac Baren Golden Extra 2oz bulk
3. Mac Baren 7 Seas Black 4 Oz bulk
4. Amphora Special Reserve Black Cavendish 1.75oz pouch
5. Sillem’s Copenhagen Pipe Tobacco Tin - 50g
6. Stanwell Melange 1.75 Ounce Tin (2)
7. Country Squire White Rose - 2oz bulk
8. Country Squire Delta Honeydew - 2oz bulk
9. Country Squire Rivendell - 4oz bulk
10. Country Squire Meriwether - 4oz bulk

These will likely go into a meer (a medium CAO Holmes & Watson or a Falcon sporting a meer bowl) or one of seemingly a hundred MM cobs that litter my place like Fall leaves on the lawn. The Mixture Scottish Blend is supposed to do particularly well in a Cob...which is reported to ease its known tendency to bite if not treated with kid gloves.

Note: several of these are available in bulk and tins. I doubt that the Amphora is. Anyone out there with personal experience in how the tin might be different than the bulk...or do they taste and perform exactly Alike?

The only one I’ve sampled is the Golden Extra, hints of chocolate and mild Burley flavor with traces of Virginia at times, I liked it.
banjo

Adjusted my overall series with a few more items from The Country Squire, arguably my favorite B&M blender of aromatic blends.

New list of The Big Fall TAD Thing:

1. Mac Baren MIXTURE Scottish Blend 100g tin
2. Mac Baren Golden Extra 2oz bulk
3. Mac Baren 7 Seas Black 4 Oz bulk
4. Amphora Special Reserve Black Cavendish 1.75oz pouch
5. Sillem’s Copenhagen Pipe Tobacco Tin - 50g
6. Stanwell Melange 1.75 Ounce Tin (2)
7. Country Squire White Rose - 2oz bulk
8. Country Squire Delta Honeydew - 2oz bulk
9. Country Squire Rivendell - 4oz bulk
10. Country Squire Meriwether - 4oz bulk

That should keep me sweet well into Winter!

Excellent. I’ve seen and heard great things about both. They’re both noted as “fast puffing equals bite, slow puffing brings delight” blends. So I will TRY to keep my typical mad puffing cadence under control.

I was never a believer in the "you need to smoke several bowls if it, to get it" theory until I started smoking Scottish Blend.

There a few nuances to it that I didn't on the first 4-5 passes, but it's a good one for sure. Kind of sweet, fragrant wood-smoke sidestream experience. Reminds me of the aroma of hickory coming off the old smoker/grill.

It also favors having a dedicated pipe. ;)

Scottish Mixture is probably my favorite of the Mac Baren blends. It has been a staple for twenty to thirty years. It purchase it in bulk and seal it in jars to age. It is good when it is new and much better with a little time on it. Enjoy!

Nice haul, BH.

Only had experience of 7 Seas Black... Really enjoyed it. In fact thinking about it, I've still got a little jarred up. Mmm... must get back into it and perhaps do a quick replen. Cheers BH!

I’ve only had experience with #’s 1&2. I think Scottish mixture is a great blend. Treat it right and it’s good all day long. Golden extra is good but I really have to be in the mood for it. Definitely not my go to smoke. But will bite like a pitbull if not careful.

I like the “fast puffing equals bite, slow puffing brings delight” slogan. Great for a t-shirt.

Blackhorse":gkf80kqu said:
fishnbanjo":gkf80kqu said:
The only one I’ve sampled is the Golden Extra, hints of chocolate and mild Burley flavor with traces of Virginia at times, I liked it.
banjo
I was surprised at how reasonable the bulk blend was.
Second the opinion on the Golden Extra (back in my day it was Golden Blend!!). I do remember the tin tobacco seemed more of a broken flake while the bulk (of which I have quite a bit!) is a bit more of a ribbon. Never smoked it in a Meer; cobs do wonderfully as do several of my smaller briars. :cheers: and enjoy FTRPLT

Nice haul! I have a lb of the scottish mixture and did the deal with the ashtray. Wasn't disappointed. I know it is a surprise but I have not had those Country Squire blends. Been stuck on Old Toby and Second Breakfast. I have read folks blend Rivendale with Green Dragon and call it Weather Top!

I find that Scottish Mixture can be a little bitey if not sipped, but with a few years of age, it settles down, and becomes a little more well rounded with no bite. Never had trouble with Golden Extra.