Mac Baren's Burley London Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the classic Burley blends.  The original isn’t made made any longer.  The current product is a limited run so if you like it you should stock up.  For my money I’d buy Stormfront or several of the Peretti’s blends or several of the other flakes out there.  Solani Aged Burley Flake, the Wessex stuff & the C&D items...even Exhausted Rooster.  I love a good burley.  Thankfully there are lots out there.

Re the original...JimInks sez:
★★★☆

“The burleys were high quality: a lot of nuts and cocoa with notes of honey, oats, some molasses, and slight spice with a dry, woody, rough edge from the white burley. The Virginia was citrusy sweet and a little grassy in the background. A little cocoa topping was evident. The strength was in the center of mild to medium, while the taste level was a step past that mark. The nic-hit was mild. Could nip at the tongue only if puffed like a steam engine, which could also produce some cigarette notes, which is a common trait with burleys. The flakes were easy to break apart, and fit in a pipe as one preferred. Puffed at a moderate rate, it burned cool and clean and just a bit slow with a very consistent mildly sweet, lightly savory flavor. Seldom left much moisture in the bowl, and required a few relights. Had a pleasant after taste. Was an all day smoke. Three and a half stars. A no nonsense product.

Update 7-22-2019: I have been smoking an early 1970s production of this blend. Outside of the fact that the cocoa was a little less pronounced (likely due to the topping fading some), it's consistent in every way with the review I previously wrote.”