Mac Baren's Symphony

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this blend?

There are a couple of guys in our club that swear by it but I was thinking about trying it before our next meeting and wondered if it is worth ordering?

Thanks!

That and their Scottish are just about the two least-liked blends available, at least to my mouth. But to put my taste (or lack there of) in perspective, I don't particularly care for their Navy Flake either, and many here swear by it.

Natch

I have tried it a couple of times. It was ok but not something I keep on hand. McBarens darktwist and virginia no.1 are my to favorite blends by them.

Mark,

Both of those blends are on the sweet side and tend to burn hot without much provocation, as do most McBaren blends.

Mike

Mark,

I actually really enjoy Symphony and Scottish Mixture quite well. Symphony was the first "tin" of tobacco I purchased in my piping adventure. It bit like hell at first, but I attribute this to the inexperience of the smoker more than anything. A little bit of age had mellowed it out and with some drying and slow puffing became quite enjoyable.

Nick

I tried it about a decade ago and wasn't overly impressed.A pedestrian grade aromatic would be an acurate discription.I still think NavyFlake is the best product MacBran's offers.We DO have one member of our pipe club who smokes Symphony exclusively though...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Thanks guys!

I have heard pros and cons and it sounds like one of those blends that you either love or hate.

Justpipes":whnyvhx7 said:

There are a couple of guys in our club that swear by it but I was thinking about trying it before our next meeting and wondered if it is worth ordering?

Thanks!
Only IMHO, I can't smoke any of the MacB's any longer, although Symphony and Golden Extra were the last two blends to leave me. I would swear that somewhere in the last 35 years that the original formulae were tampered with badly, or may be that the palate was ruined by too many years of cheap tobacco and bad pipes. It might be 6 months or so, when I bought tins of Symphony and London Burley, and they're not cheap. But, the smoke was thin and flat, just very unexciting . There were no highs or lows, just sort of flat-lined through the smoke. If I really want flat smokes, there's always 'Smokers' Pride', for about 1/3 the cost. I'll reserve my final opinions for the Navyflake, though, since I haven't smoked that one in years.

That is interesting Bob.

The only one that I have tried is Golden Extra and I know that the person that I got it from had it aging for several years. I recently purchased a 100g tin of it but I haven't opened it.

I will eventually get around to the newer stuff and I will let you know if it is different.

Mike,

It arrived today. My goodness man! I know you originally said a sample but I wasn't expecting a sealed 100g tin! What is that all about?!

Mike, you are a fine gentleman!

Thanks,

Mark

Smoked Golden Extra years ago when it was Golden Blend. Not bad for a burley; but smoke it slow!! Room note was always enjoyable....that good ol' baccy aroma!! Don't do MacBarens anymore. FTRPLT

Symphony is a good but unexciting blend as others have expressed. After not smoking MacBaren's for many years I purchased quite a few tins at the last Chicago show where MacBaren had a table. My taste for tobacco varies from season to season and I opted for a sleeve of Norwood (burley) and a sleeve of Syrian Latakia. I've been enjoying Norwood for quite a few months now, and it's not too much different from Symphony. I will say that in my opinion they use a very high grade leaf, and their cut is more of a broken flake than rubbed out as the tins state. If you smoke quickly you won't appreciate them, it's mandatory that you puff slowly and enjoy along the way to avoid any bite. It's a pleasure to re-acquaint myself with this fine line of tobaccos.

Justpipes":1y717zc2 said:

Thanks!
I've tried two of Mac B's blends. Symphony and Virginia #1... They both burned like a furnace, and left my tongue in agony. After a bit of aging, they got a wee bit better, but even smoked slowly with shallow puffs, they could still get really hot. Also IMHO, they weren't all that flavorful either.