MacB Scottish Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
So way back when I was starting to cross over from aromatics to non-aromatics, one of the first blends I tried was MacB's Scottish Mixture (I think it's actually called Mixture - Scottish Blend, but whatever). As MacB blends, go, I thought it was fairly tasty as long as it was kept extraordinarily cool.

I was at a smoke shop earlier this week for a club meet-up, and felt like I should buy something since we would be taking up most of the smoking lounge - had a few pipes I set aside for non-aromatic, non-latakia blends with me. I wasn't in the mood for a Burley-forward blend, and the Va/VaPer offerings were scant.

So I figured I'd take a shot at the Mixture Flake which I'm pretty sure is more or less Scottish Mixture in flake form - it's been a long time since I had the Scottish Mixture, so I'm not entirely positive. At any rate, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The flake makes it easier to maintain the burn rate/temp, lots of good flavor in there. Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish, and they've nailed to proportions (to my taste at least). There's definitely some sort of aro topping in there, so it's not technically a non-aro (I guess), but it's light enough that it's not overbearing and it doesn't strike me as a ghoster.

Mixture Flake strikes me as being one of the better tinned MacB blends...bite isn't a problem, burley is dead and flat (which I find to be the case with a lot of their blends), and it provides a really satisfying smoke.

For me, this belongs in the upper echelon of MacBaren blends (along with Dark Twist Roll Cake and Stockton). To be honest, I didn't even know this flake existed until I saw it on the shelf, so it was a really happy surprise.

FWIW, the tin I bought was dated May of 2011, so some of that "no bite, smooth flavor" business may have to do as much with aging as it does with the blend.

Mixture flake was my first flake. It was recommended to me at a b&m and I smoked a bunch of it. I thought it was a great flake. Still do. Nice flavors, not strong though, and burns outstandingly. I've mentioned it a couple times as it was my first flake but it seems of incredibly low renown. Not much chatter on that one. I personally like Mixture Flake much better than their much better known Navy Flake. So glad to hear you tried it and enjoyed it.

I can speak for the mixture. Friggin' classic. So the flake is just the same in flake form? Interestin', if so. Gotta revisit this blend; it's been decades.

I haven't smoked Scottish mixture or Mixture modern, none of the loose MacB "mixtures." I never knew which "Mixture" the flake was a version of. But it's good and you should try it and let us know.

Richard Burley":x4k0qutz said:
So the flake is just the same in flake form? Interestin', if so.
I think...can't swear to it, but I think so. It's been a long time since I had the mxiture and don't have any on hand to try, so I might be WAY off and just fooled by the fact they both have very similar tins (although the flake is virginia, burley, and unflavored black cav, so it sounds awfully Scottish to me).