MacBarens Scottish Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
I have been anxious to try this out fro some time now. Lit up a bowlful in a BBB Own Make Virgin 529 ( looks almost identical to a Pete 268 I own). Rubbed out with no problem and pre-light was easy. Ash tamped right down. I re-lit and was good to go for the next 25 minutes requiring no re-light, and as you guys are aare by now...that is not my strong suite yet. It smoked easy and with very little effort, with just the mildest bellows work to get full plumes of smoke going.
The opening was warm and toasty, with the burley taking center stage. i was able to get just a hint of topping from the cavendish, but very light.
One thing I noticed almost immediately was that the weed must be smoked slow and relaxed, as I found myself enjoying it a bit too agressively and the potential for bite was distinct.
By midway through the bowl I picked up on the VA a bit but it for the most part disappeared by 2/3 way down, and the burley was the mainstay that remained centerstage for the rest of the burn. The finish ( not sure if pipe smokers use this vernacular, but in cigar smoking it refers to the aftertates between each draw) was medium and it lingered on the palette nicely.I deliberately let the bowl go out at 3/4 as I could feel the heat building, and the smoke getting a bit steamy and hot, even though I handling it with kid gloves ( my first encounter with Hal o' Wynd was not left my memory yet).
Try as I might I simply could not keep the tobaccy cool, and it was a bit of a nuisance to monitor it so closely. i finally finished it to a pretty dry ash, with no real dottle and when i tamped out my bowl was dry. But teh smoke sure was warm by 2/3 to end.

Overall, a very nice smoke for me, but I might be hesitant to buy a tin until i can figure out a way around the heat. I'd give it 3 stars if not for that. 2 1/2 as it is.
Just my .02 worth and thanks fellas.

ps This review would not have been possible without Jeepernick's generousity...thanks, Nick!

Very nice review Davey!

Now I have another Burley on my list to try.

Thanks guys.

I have another bowl prepped for the commute home. I will give it another go. Thanks Carlos.

I just recently finished a tin of this and never really thought it was that great. I hated it the first couple of times I smoked it but I did not want to waste the tin so I smoked the whole thing to give it a fair shake. By the end of the tin I did like it but ws not blown away. I think it is one of those blends that it grows on you. What I did like about it was its complexity in flavor and taste.

Update:

Well I let this dry out a bit and then fire it up in my Savinelli 601 churchwarden. Waaaay better this time around. Not a hint of bite ( as Carlos had wisely suggested to sip it a bit) in the church, and I actually tasted a bit of plumb from either subtly of the casing or the VA coming out. By mid bowl I was drawing fairly aggessively as I was enjoying it so much, and no bite at all...and still cool. I will go back to my BBB and give it another go.

Nice weed, especially for the price.