Mad magazine is stopping

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in a tiny town. One of the only "interesting" magazines the grocery store ever had was MAD magazine and Spy vs Spy books. They left an impression on me. Honestly, I'm surprised they were still active. A different time.

^Cob, that comment had me laughing out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking at the time. :)

Magazine founded in a time when edgy satire, and irreverent lampooning were thought to be avant garde.  MAD poked fun at the hypocritical sacred cows du jour, and left no one out of their gun sights.  Great stuff back then.  But just watch TV and it's obvious that the need for this type of magazine has been rendered as redundant.

Good in its time and era..... but that was then, and this is now.  It was under my mattress when I was a kid, along with my 9 transistor portable radio, and with some other magazines....don't ask.

Gone the way of the dodo like so many things from my youth. I'll always have fond memories of MAD but in this day and age I really can't see them being able to survive. It was a simpler time and I will miss it.

Jim

I read Mad magazine regularly as a kid. Frankly some of the humor was lost on me as I didn't understand the concept of satire. Every issue had a feature that lampooned some current flick like "Days of Runny Noses" which was a take-off on "Days of Wine and Roses". As a kid I never saw these flicks as they were adult oriented. Back then I only saw films in the theater like National Velvet, The Three Stooges, and the occasional monster movie.

I remember a period where they showed a potted plant called Arthur, which would be placed in a random area. Never understood the significance of this.

Also always wondered about the "MAD" title on the cover. Just after the "M" in small script there was "ind". This baffled me - was it supposed to represent "Mind" and what did that mean?

I remember when the "fold-in" on the back cover came in. This was a 2-way fold that changed the picture. I always guessed it was a take-off on the "fold-out" in Playboy.

Also remember when one issue had a little recording one could tear out. It was pressed into a thin sheet of vinyl that one taped on a 45 rpm record. Entitled "It's a Gas" it was a short tune that had a belch every so often. Think it's available on the tube.

Always liked "Spy vs Spy". That I could understand. That was all back when I was in grade school. I had a whole box of Mad mags that I eventually gave away. Prolly worth some do-re-mi now!

Also remember when "Cracked" came out, which was a spin-off on MAD. Never cared for that one much for some reason.

Cheers,

RR