Mad Magazine's Al Jaffee Dies at 102.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Al Jaffee spent the the 1940s and early 1950s as a writer, artists and editor for Timely Comics, later known as Marvel. A Mad magazine contributor since the 1950s, he started creating the back cover fold-ins in 1964 and continued to do them until the age of 99. Al's work appeared in 500 of the magazine's first 550 issues, a total unmatched by any other writer or artist. He did many other projects during his career that are too numerous to mention here. I interviewed him in Alter Ego #35, and got him to draw a satire cover of the Timely characters of the 1940s. He was a great man and a great friend, and he will always be missed by those who knew him. RIP, Al.
s-l1600.jpg

Jim in NYC Feb 2008 060_2.jpg

On a related note, did anyone ever notice that  all the declarative sentences in Mad end in exclamation marks? I remember seeing that as a kid and thinking, what's going on here. They are mad.
That was often the case with old comics. Apparently, publishers were afraid a period would not show up in printing, and this was insurance that it would. I know that's silly, but it was standard practice at times.

Thank you for sharing your memories, JimInks. Al is absolutely worth a memorial.

Padraig, I'm with you. I remember a few really good parodies in Mad, but I think I loved the fold-ins best when I was young.

Also, Jim, that is an impressive knowledge of 20th century printing practices. (I am not joking: much respect intended.)