Made a new elf stack...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowroll

Reaction score
Well, here's my latest effort. I wanted an extreme example similar to an old Pipe Dan narrow chimney, so I did this one. I thought that estheticly something this stacked should be a full bent and needed a long stem. I made that in 2 pieces.
It's 3 1/2 in. High, bowl depth 3 1/4, bowl Dia.11/16 and 7 in. Long on the diagonal. It's probably a love it or hate it pipe, I've always been intrigued by this style, wondered how it would smoke. So far, couple of  smokes are pretty good, although partial bowls are a bit hard to keep lit down that deep. Waddya think? Have at  it comment wise. My wife thinks I need to wear suspenders, grow a longer beard and walk in the forest with this one. Good thing I wanted a ferrule on the shank, because I screwed up the shank end (a craftsman can hide his mistakes ;)  )

Slowroll....simply outrageous and the design was well thought. That's one of the tallest stacked pipes I've seen. The way you fixed the boo-boo at the end of the shank nobody would be the wiser if you did not mention it. Truly does take a craftsman to cover up and flaw properly. This would make for the perfect long smoke on a day when it's in the high 60's outside.  
Is the stem two piece?  You deserve an atta-boy :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Now you need to make a tamper to fit that bowl !!! :twisted: :twisted:

Thank you coyote. Yep, great smoke leaning back with it resting on my chest, regardless of the temp out :eek:
Stem is 2 piece, easier to make and keep clean. I'm  looking forward to seeing how it smokes when  broken in.  Gotta test the limits of stacks smokability.

Monbla, right you are, my rodgers or Czech tools drop right in and disappear when tamping the bottom, or spooning out the ash. Have to use a small bayonet.

That's wild! Isn't there a great chance of a side burn through on it? It seems so thin that I would think it would heat up really fast. I think a nice piece of bamboo would look good for the middle part of the stem.

ADDED: No, I think the bamboo might actually take away from it and look out of place.

Simple Man":dn6zzezn said:
That's wild! Isn't there a great chance of a side burn through on it? It seems so thin that I would think it would heat up really fast. I think a nice piece of bamboo would look good for the middle part of the stem.

ADDED: No, I think the bamboo might actually take away from it and look out of place.
Whew, I'm glad you changed your mind on the bamboo. :bounce:
I don't think it'll burn thru, I have an old Danish smaller stack I've been smoking for 40 years, and it's actually a little thinner in the walls. Just can't ever lay it on it's side while hot. Wild,wild west huh? My wife says I should sit under a mushroom with it.

Now that's a pipe with character.

Looks beautifully made SR. That stack looks so long I recon it'd have a draw all of its own!

Thanks stick. I'm anxious to see if it's wet dottle at the end of the smoke after I get it broken in. Maybe if I just wave it around a while I can keep it lit.