Maine: the latest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Maine joins Arkansas,Louisiana,California in creating laws to protect the children of smokers.

Maine legislators have passed and the governer has promised to sign into law a bill that makes smoking in an automobile containing children under the age of 16 a crime. First offense punishable by a $50 fine, no word on repeat offenders.

Thanks the answer for everything isn't it? Just heap up MORE legislation...yeah right.

puros_bran":1fcpz6cw said:
Maine joins Arkansas,Louisiana,California in creating laws to protect the children of smokers.

Maine legislators have passed and the governer has promised to sign into law a bill that makes smoking in an automobile containing children under the age of 16 a crime. First offense punishable by a $50 fine, no word on repeat offenders.
I wonder if there is similar legislation to protect children of drivers who are drunk, or abusive parents who think that kids need to be bounced around or psychologically demeaned. Or, how about drivers who are high, and decide to jeopardize their family?

This is a pretty good example of why the intensity of my enthusiam for "states' rights" is underwealming.

:face:

Morleysson, Don't go trying to confuse the issue with logic.

Yak, While I am a strong supporter of States Rights I don't like this law. But its Maines law, if the people re-elect the bozos that passed this instead of people that oppose it and seek to overturn it,they by default endorse it.
Stuff like this never goes to a popular vote, if it did I imagine it would fail. There are more smokers than 'anti-smokers', we just aren't vocal as a group.

Hopefully we can find a study somewhere showing that tobacco is a viable treatment for some impossible to disprove illness. That way we can get the insurance company to pay for medicinal tobacciana when they finally pass prohibition III

I have always wished that they found the cure for cancer in tobacco. :cheers:

As for the original post concerning a smoke ban in cars, to me this an infringement on fundamental property rights and an antithesis to a free society. By property rights I'm referring to a person's car, house, business or any other resource of which one is the owner. When the elected government officials force their moral beliefs on others and interfere with a person's right to use their property in the name of political correctness, unfounded health issues, or other BS I become quite incensed...which is why I had to write this to get it off my chest. Thanks for bearing with me.

Jim...now for a BIG bowl of CVP in my Castello hawkbill

Yep,
Here I am in the middle of the Pine Tree State where tobacco Nazis are having a ball. Nothing more than extremists. Are you aware that they have gone so far as not allowing any tobacco shipments into this state??? It's all about taxes in that particular instance. You would think that a state such as Maine which USED to be very conservative that ridiculous laws such as this would not exist. The times they are a changin'. And not for the better. It still beats going to Canada and paying 16 to 18 dollars for a 50gm. pouch of Captain Black!! I vote and I smoke. That's the bottom line.
AC
:evil:

puros_bran":0095ac2i said:
Morleysson, Don't go trying to confuse the issue with logic.

Yak, While I am a strong supporter of States Rights I don't like this law. But its Maines law, if the people re-elect the bozos that passed this instead of people that oppose it and seek to overturn it,they by default endorse it.
Stuff like this never goes to a popular vote, if it did I imagine it would fail. There are more smokers than 'anti-smokers', we just aren't vocal as a group.
Last things first. Antis currently outnumber smokers by a handy margin. Remember, only about 27% of the adult population smokes. Approximately 24% of that population are ex-smokers, who are, by and large, the most vocal and vehement of the anti-smokers. Then, there are those antis who either have never smoked, or claim to have never smoked. They're another big chunk. With kids being preached at about the evils of tobacco constantly, the anti's positilon will likely decline somewhat as these children reach the age of majority. It's the rebellion effect at work. But, for the time being, we're a minority, and the majority has a big mouth.

I strongly suspect that if this legislation were to go to popular vote, it would, in fact, pass. In fact, a great many smokers would vote for it, as they've been just as effectively brainwashed as the antis. Word.

Frankly, I don't advocate smoking around infants. When an organism is growing that rapidly, exposure to mutagens are much more likely to result in the expression of pathologies in later years. It just makes sense to minimize risk when we're dealing with our kids. However, I do feel that the states are going well outside of their legal rights by writing legislation like this. But, it's not the first time.

As for States Rights, I'm with you, in principle. In practice, there are serious issues that cannot be addressed by ideolgy, and Big Gummint knows this full well, and further knows how to exploit the system at every turn.

Hopefully we can find a study somewhere showing that tobacco is a viable treatment for some impossible to disprove illness. That way we can get the insurance company to pay for medicinal tobacciana when they finally pass prohibition III
An amusing notion. Interestingly, there is some evidence to support that exposure to tobacco smoke serves some slight prophylaxis against development of lung cancer. Exposure to small concentrations of radon apparently do also. Maybe we just need radioactive tobacco...There's a thought...

morleysson":ek5kt8f6 said:
Or, how about drivers who are high, and decide to jeopardize their family?
There was an incident here a few weeks ago where a fellow had his wife an young daughter in the vehicle with him and he rear ended a lady in front of him. He jumped out of the vehicle and ran leaving his wife and daughter without even knowing if they were ok. He hit the vehicle in front of him so hard that the lady driving died in the accident. They didn't even catch the guy until the next day and they found him hiding somewhere along the highway.

I am not even going to say what I am thinking about this guy becasue it could get me kicked off the board for posting inappropriately to a thread that is not in the rubber room!

To stay on topic concerning PB's original post, I say call up the militia! :twisted: