Major Pipe Day Sunday = Major Tongue Bite Monday

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
Did a lot of smoking on Sunday during football etc. After many bowls I now have a case of major tongue bite.

Definitely seems like some tobaccos affect me more than others.

I started off with a bowl of Butera Pelican. This was my first time trying this blend and I must say I did enjoy it. I found it showing more Orientals than Latakia in the blend. Vibrant, zesty with citrus notes and a touch of spice. Minor bite on this

Then I moved to C&D Bow Legged Bear. I've smoked this before, and didn't find anything that appealing but I wanted to see if my tastes have changed. This is heavy, but for some reason I can't identify any particular flavor. It does almost taste like it has some flavored topping on it. Its mostly straight forward tobacco and smokey flavors, but did have some bite to it. Overall, I'm still not fond of this blend.

Then followed that up with Esoterica Margate. This is a nice heavy latakia full blend with a strong perfumey \ floral aroma and taste. The finish on this tobacco lastes for days. Smokes very well, but also had some bite to it. I believe this blend got me previously too.

So to finish off the night I went for something smooth. McClellands Frog Morton. Still had enough taste buds to enjoy the flavor, but by the end of the night my tongue was fried. I don't think this blend bites at all, so I can't think that my problems are with latakia. Could it be the Orientals in the blends that are biting me, or perhaps Perique?

No matter what I smoke, I will get some bit of tongue bite, but some definitely contribute to it more than others.

I'm just wondering if its the composition of a tobacco has a certain leaf in it that I may be more susceptible to?.

Anyway, I think I need more pipes as I hit just about everyone I owned yesterday.

There are about a hundred different theories on the origins of tongue bite. But it breaks down like this:

1. If you're an inexperienced pipe smoker, you will be told that the reasons you get bite are related to your technique. You're packing too tight, too loose, not drying the tobacco enough, drying the tobacco too much, puffing too hard. Or you might have a "chemical sensitivity" to certain tobaccos.

2. If you're a long-time pipe smoker, you're allowed to blame the tobacco for all your ills and use neologisms like "MacBite."

So, just give it a little time and you'll achieve pipe-smoker-immunity. Meaning, it's not your fault.

My theory is: if I feel it while I'm smoking, it's tongue bite.
if I get it after I'm done smoking, it's just the residue of a good time... :pirat:
disclaimer: no scientific knowledge whatsoever was used to concoct this "theory"

Piet Binsbergen":2iuew974 said:
Interesting reading here

http://www.virtualsmokinglounge.com/resources/articles/tongue_bite_the_bane_of_pipe_smokers_by_david_peterson.pdf

It is personal really, some tobacco's will irritate the tongue more than others. My irritations may not be yours etc.
If you are new to pipe smoking, slow it down to one or two bowls a day.
Set up certain classifications for yourself and see which combo's work and which do not.

Good luck.
Also watch technique, packing, pipe draft and moisture levels.
I'm one of the rebels who says smoke whatever you want as often as you want. Then again, I've smoked 9mm charcoal filter pipes almost exclusively for the past couple of years. Haven't had one iota of discomfort since I made the switch.

beaupipe":sqd90uhq said:
Piet Binsbergen":sqd90uhq said:
Interesting reading here

http://www.virtualsmokinglounge.com/resources/articles/tongue_bite_the_bane_of_pipe_smokers_by_david_peterson.pdf

It is personal really, some tobacco's will irritate the tongue more than others. My irritations may not be yours etc.
If you are new to pipe smoking, slow it down to one or two bowls a day.
Set up certain classifications for yourself and see which combo's work and which do not.

Good luck.
Also watch technique, packing, pipe draft and moisture levels.
I'm one of the rebels who says smoke whatever you want as often as you want. Then again, I've smoked 9mm charcoal filter pipes almost exclusively for the past couple of years. Haven't had one iota of discomfort since I made the switch.
Now that works for you and may for others and that is good for you.
I do not like them at all but that does not make me right and you wrong......... to each his own. So all of us have different ways we react to different tobacco's.
Way to go man, as long as you enjoy the smoke thats all that counts!!!
:cheers: :cheers:

beaupipe":5ow4ga31 said:
There are about a hundred different theories on the origins of tongue bite. But it breaks down like this:

1. If you're an inexperienced pipe smoker, you will be told that the reasons you get bite are related to your technique. You're packing too tight, too loose, not drying the tobacco enough, drying the tobacco too much, puffing too hard. Or you might have a "chemical sensitivity" to certain tobaccos.

2. If you're a long-time pipe smoker, you're allowed to blame the tobacco for all your ills and use neologisms like "MacBite."

So, just give it a little time and you'll achieve pipe-smoker-immunity. Meaning, it's not your fault.
I'm going with Beau!! :lol:

Piet, thanks for the link. Interesting read.

Smoked some Embarcadero last night in my Bringham. No problems at all. I think the filters have something to do with it. I like the Savinelli balsa filters and this Bringham is proving to be a fine smoker.

Sav 6mm balsa filters are a good option, I use them too,
Enjoy and you are welcome bro!!

I've notice I have to be real gentle with Margate, as it tends to bite if I don't. All McC's bite me like a rabid dog. I don't smoke them much anymore.

fishnrust":job0dexm said:
I've notice I have to be real gentle with Margate, as it tends to bite if I don't. All McC's bite me like a rabid dog. I don't smoke them much anymore.
Interesting how pipe smoking works, McC;e;;and is one of the few baccies across the board that do not bite me!!!

Piet Binsbergen":zpyloyww said:
fishnrust":zpyloyww said:
Interesting how pipe smoking works, McC;e;;and is one of the few baccies across the board that do not bite me!!!
I believe it has to do w/body chemistry. Mine must be out of whack.

fishnrust":2glelclx said:
Piet Binsbergen":2glelclx said:
fishnrust":2glelclx said:
I believe it has to do w/body chemistry. Mine must be out of whack.
No I think mine is!!!! :cherry: :cyclops: :lol:

All things considered, tongue bite seems to go away eventually with time and practice. Just part of the learning curve, IMHO.

Tim_Haggerty":r5k464c4 said:
All things considered, tongue bite seems to go away eventually with time and practice. Just part of the learning curve, IMHO.
tim, that's one hell of a pipe you have there in your avatar. is that yours? what is that monster?

To stay on topic, I have much less tongue bit with my larger bowls, I guess I either smoke them slower or they smoke cooler by design.

Tim_Haggerty":plblna9h said:
Agreed Tim!

Tim_Haggerty":fnox6hoc said:
It's a Lorenzo Oom Paul that I picked up on eBay. I am partial to big pipes. :)
I actually thought that was done through photoshop or something. Man that is one huge pipe. I would get lockjaw holding that thing :affraid:

It's big but surprisingly comfortable, actually. The weight of the bowl hands down so it sits well