Make your own hand sanitizer?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Hand Sanitizer gone or too expensive where you live.

Anyone do this?

2/3 of 99% isopropyl alcohol (95% should work too)
1/3 of 100% pure aloe Vera GEL
Some people add scent...drops...don’t know what kind.

Mic together WELL in a super sanitized bowl.
Pour into super sanitized containers.

This gives you a 66% alcohol mixture and you NEED at least a 60% final product.

At current prices this might be “expensive” to make. But not as much as price gouged sanitizer.

Good luck.

Sounds good. I have over a gallon of 99% isopropyl. I just may try to make some.

I rarely use it. I can't remember the last time I used it. Though, the last time I was at the dentist, they used Purel instead of washing their hands. I wasn't pleased. I absolutely understand why people use it and the utility of it on-demand, but I go out of my way to wash my hands instead. Pre-pandemic. I worked in a quasi medical field where I was battling constant viruses, including Hep C and the more nasty stuff. I've always washed my keys and carry objects that can be washed, or in a way they can be washed. For instance, my DL, CC, and debit card are in a clip. I can wash all of them. I do wash all of them.

If you talk to any medical professional off the record (except my lazy-ass dentist), they tell you to wash your hands over disinfectants 100/100 times. I'm not sure why they're so diplomatic about it. Not only do these disinfectants leave remnants, but they don't cover the percentage of surface area on your hands like running water can. They don't get under the fingernails and around the cuticles like running water and soap do.

If you already know all this, sorry. I keep a little artichoke heart jar with 99% iso-soaked paper towels in it for emergencies, so I'm not above using these types of home hacks. I haven't opened that jar in a couple months, though.

Yes, of course wash. It should be (and is) shouted from the rooftops that it’s the only effective thing.

Sidebar: I went through a surgical rotation during my hospital training in the military. At that time a pre surgery scrub for staff, etc. was ten minutes...with HOT water, bactericidal soap and a stiff little brush. I think that since then it has been reduced to five minutes in most places. Why an ungodly ten minutes? Because, scientific method applied, that’s what it takes to effectively remove germs from a persons hands so they won’t infect someone.

All they want “folks” to do now is 20 seconds!

BUT...when you CAN’T wash? Yup. Sanitizer. 60% plus alcohol will kill most of the germs. It’s better than nothing, as they say.

Yeah, 20 seconds? That had me scratching my head too. I guess you can't demand, or expect, too much from people? So odd. I watched a doctor on one of the all-news stations yesterday (or the day before) going through handwashing. I was glad to see someone actually demonstrating it. It took him more than 20 seconds to get his hands wet and the soap dispensed. 20 seconds? To think this was a country of rationing and demanding less use of metal etc for WWII. We can't even get people to wash their hands for a couple of minutes when it directly benefits them? We're hurtin'.

Speaking of surgical brushes... I can't believe how much those things cost if you just want to buy one. On eBay, they're like $4+ each. They want you to buy 5+ at a time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Disposable-Medical-Sterile-Surgical-Nail-Scrub-Brush-Hosppital-Clinic-FDA/202507396083

Half water and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle makes for a good all-purpose sanitizer. Double check the bottle, as it does come in various strengths. Safer than bleach products.

I've been really lazy. I bought a couple of liter bottles of 151 proof Everclear. I put it in small spray bottles with a couple of drops of lemon oil and carry a bottle in my pocket.

At this point you can get good, cheap hand sanitizer like Purell of Dial online. I picked up a three pak of 8 oz Dial pump dispensers for about $12 as I recall. I’d always do a Google search on it, but I think I got it via Staples. It goes in and out of stock. At $4 per unit I don’t think you can make your own as cheaply.

But with my Everclear remedy, I"m always armed to make a cocktail.

Having a hand sanitizer cocktail watching college football. 2 shots Everclear, one shot home made sweetened lime juice, lots of white soda.
214536_1_1_1.jpg

I see you got the weak stuff lol. This one was all I could find when I need it.
I have to drive to Hudson, WI over the MN/WI border to buy 190 proof as 151 is the highest allowable proof in MN.