making a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Has anyone here built a pipe from a pre drilled block of briar, or started from scratch with a block of briar and finished with a great pipe ( I know,,,beauty is in the eye of the beholder ) or at least a pipe you enjoy smoking?

Would love to hear the answer as I am considering trying my hand with a pre-drilled, stem included block of briar....

-Andrew

Yea, i've made about 2 dozen pipes. Working on a few right now. Well i was a few minutes ago at least. I'd like to think my pipes are beautiful. One or two of them have been. A few have been the ugliest things you ever saw too. heheh. Its great fun. All you need really (with a pre-drilled block) are some files, sand paper and patience. The real fun though is starting from scratch, with a raw block and a rod of vulcanite. But that requires more tools.

I've made a few, and I really like them. You ought to give it a go. It's loads of fun and not near as hard as most people think!

Check out pipemakersforum.com for some other guys that have made a few of there own pipes.

Tyler

LOL! If that't the Tyler i think it is he's made quite a few and darn nice ones too! Pipemakersforum.com is an excelent suggestion!

Nick,

I'm almost positive tyler is THE maker of Tyler Lane pipes. I met him at the 2004 CORPS pipe show and really wanted to buy one his small bulldogs he had on his table. At the time I didn't have sufficient funds to do so and have always dreamed of getting one. When I saw an unsmoked one recently advertised, I jumped on it like a duck on a junebug. Tyler Lane # 63 is on my rack.

It's a real shame he stopped making pipes for sale. Plus he's a super nice guy too!

Back to the subject....when I finish the Dixie Gunworks black powder rifle kit I started in 1974, I may get a pipe kit and try my hand.

Jim

made a few with pre-drilled briars w/ stems from Pimo...used a dremel, files, rasps, and lots and lots of sand paper....they turned out ok...kinda ugly actually...but they smoke good!

Have made several from kits and several from scratch. Fun hobby.

I'm considering a chunk of lemonwood to hack on, I've seen other pipemakers use it. All I can do is ruin it, get frustrated, and drink more than normal.

I've been threatening to do this for years. My best, oldest, dearest friend called me on it: He gave me a pre-drilled Pimo plateux block with a bit for my birthday. I've studied the block and now know what I want to do with it. As soon as I find my vice and pick up some dust masks, I'm going to get started on it.

(I've also been threatening to buy a cheap pre-drilled ebuchon and to smoke it without shaping it at all. Thankfully he bought me a big plateux block, or I might have done just that. :))