Making of the Monster - Kaiser83's Group 747 Magnum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Kaiser came to me a few months ago, and he said "I want a really big pipe."

"Okay," says I, "I make big pipes pretty often."

"Nonono," says Kaiser, "a REALLY big pipe."

"How big?" says I.

"How big can you make it?" says Kaiser.

"Ah." says I. THAT big. THAT big can be done, but it needs special stuff. So, an email to Makis Minetos in Greece results in a "No problem boss, I will find you such a piece."

And what a piece. I mean, I've bought loaves of bread smaller than this thing.

kaiser001.jpg

Draw up a pipe, make sure that the angles work, that it can be drilled, etc

kaiser003.jpg

and make a few cuts on the bandsaw, hoping the block is solid. Really big briar is often terrible inside.

kaiser004.jpg

This looks great so far.

Onto the lathe for preliminary shaping and chamber drilling:

kaiser005.jpg

More to come

Now to get onto the stem. 1" rod stock ebonite for this big fella.

Drilled a tapering hole from one end, connect to that with a 1/16" drill bit to start the slot:

kaiser007.jpg

Three holes in a row start the slot.

Successfully connected airholes, and remove all the garbage, smooth out the airway:

kaiser008.jpg

Here's the other end after having been on the lathe - stem has a taper and the tenon is cut at this point:

kaiser009.jpg

It even fits the block! :cheers:

kaiser010.jpg

hack off all that excess wood:

kaiser011.jpg

With the shape finalized, I'll start carving the texture. This takes awhile but you can't mimic hand-tooling with a machine process.

kaiser012.jpg

Rusticated, stained and being polished now

kaiser013.jpg

and a few finishing touches, bend the stem etc, et voila.

kaiser014.jpg

It's alive.... You've created a MONSTER!

Really beautiful work, duly noted for possible future purchases.

Hey Sasquatch,

I'm curious, and I'm not sure I can tell from the pics, are you using a reversible yoke Armstrong holder in the making of that pipe?

Rad

That is a BIG PIPE. :shock: Sasquatch delivers. :twisted:

Nice work! Thanks for sharing the process, to...I dig that. Makes me want to buy a lathe. And a garage. And a house, while I'm at it.

8)

Rad, yes, the reversible Armstrong yoke is a critical part of the process, but the photos came out hazy.

Rad Davis":fok5ijxk said:
Hey Sasquatch,

I'm curious, and I'm not sure I can tell from the pics, are you using a reversible yoke Armstrong holder in the making of that pipe?

Rad
i seriously just laughed out loud.

Oh good. I can stop searching Google for a "reversible yoke Armstrong holder," since I was wondering if they'd help me carve pipes.
facepalm.gif

(...living proof being stupid can be fun...)

Love,

8)

Enjoyed watching the step-by-step process. Thanks for posting the pics.

The wood looked good and it seemed that it would make a great smooth finish. Why the rustication?

It was good enough to make a smooth, it's true. Maybe not a super interesting grain but the quality was there.

But the finish was agreed on many moons ago - some guys prefer the texture/look, particularly on a big pipe.

That is outrageous but a lovely piece of work.

If I filled that bowl with tobacco I would be living with DGT for many days - if not weeks

Sasquatch....I just hd an accident in my pants!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I love it, thank you sir. I am a fan of rustication as good as some pipes do look smooth I just personally like rusticated more. She will definitely give me the three hour smoke I have been hoping for. You are the man my friend. :D One very happy guy here.

That is one HUGE pipe!

A thing of ultimate beauty - although it might be a sensible precaution to write a will before lighting that furnace! :lol!:

Awesome, totally fantastic.

I really enjoyed the photos which detailed the production.

Thanks

Jers

Without a doubt, one of the coolest threads to ever grace the BoB forums! Congrats Kai, an outstanding addition to your collection! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for sharing Sasquatch. Really interesting seeing the process, and the pipe turned out really nice.

How big was the tobacco chamber, and what did it weigh?

It's a beaut, but far too big for the likes of lil' ol' me. Kaiser must be a big dude, or at least have huge hands!

:bball:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":m0tmakkf said:
It's a beaut, but far too big for the likes of lil' ol' me. Kaiser must be a big dude, or at least have huge hands
Nope I am probably your average sized American....5'10" 175lbs and with normal to small hands. I just really wanted a huge pipe to give me a long 3 hour or more smoke to watch the sunrises here with or sit around a campfire back home. This pipe fits the bill perfectly and I am stoked about it.

A very nicely put together post Sas. :p Though it is WAAAAAAY to big a ppe for me, you got the proportions of it all BEAUTIFULLLY ! Without your hand in relationship to it, you could not really how big it is ! THAT'S a nice piece of work !! :p