Man, woman, birth, death, infinity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
♂, ♀, ✳, †, ∞

I've been reminded of this familiar phrase recently. If it doesn't ring true to you, you can always google it.

Not only have I witnessed the passing of some of my favorite musical performers and influences in the past months/year, not to mention a very brave and courageous member of BoB recently, I just learned that my former CEO of Pyramid Brewing Inc has just passed of bladder cancer.

It seems that it came up very quickly and nobody knew, or at least he didn't let on until he was admitted to hospice 2 days ago. He passed last night.

The man is George Hancock, one of the original 5 partners that bought Hart Brewing from the founders in the mid- 80's and turned it into Pyramid Brewing Inc, which was a leading force in the craft brewing scene in the early days.

George was always and shall remain the driving force behind Pyramid. He served as CEO for all his years of service, and was a hard nosed taskmaster and astute businessman.

Pyramid acquired Thomas Kemper Brewing in '92, which is where I was Brewmaster since '90 and Pyramid grew the company beyond my wildest expectations.

We eventually opened the larger modern brewery in downtown Seattle in late '94 (commissioned on St Patty's day '95), directly across from what was to become Safeco Field where the Seattle Mariners now play. And later, Century Link Field adjacent from this where the Sea Hawks play. So this was a very shrewd and wise decision due to the large alehouse facility associated with the brewery.

I commissioned and ran the brewery as Plant Mgr from late '94 through late '96, when I was kicked upstairs as Corporate Brewmaster. I reported directly to George Hancock for much of this time, so got to know him well.

George was also instrumental in establishing and running the fledging Washington State Brewers Guild in the early years, which is now a significant force in the day-to-day activities amongst our membership with respect to legislation. He was indefatigable in his passion, and always had the best interests of our craft first and foremost.

While George could be the tough business individual, at the same time he could be as down to earth and approachable as anyone. There were many times we shared a pint and a story. He was a Brit, and hailed from Newcastle. I always gave him grief about being a "Geordie" and he took it in good humour.

Don't know why I'm writing so much here on a pipe related website. All the chatter is on the WA state brewers guild. Guess I just wanted to acknowledge a major mover and shaker in the craft brewing world.

George will be remembered and missed by many, including me. George Hancock, may you RIP. Your legacy lives on.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":eow8qmje said:
♂, ♀, ✳, †, ∞

I've been reminded of this familiar phrase recently. If it doesn't ring true to you you can always google it.
I thought I remembered that from somewhere. :lol:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xjq1P5p3fso" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Sorry for your loss, Brewdude.

Thanks for posting that, Hermit, I was trying to remember if it was Ben Casey or Dr. Kildare.

Sorry for your loss brother. Thank you for sharing the story about your friend.

We come very briefly to this place. We watch it move, watch it shake. Our dead are, only for a moment, motionless............

I will say this about the man, this one I never met, but through his driving force behind the works of your craft;

Big fan of Pyramid Ales, and the Kemper line was one of my favs. His mark is indelibly stamped.

I'm sure he was a great guy and his legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of those he touched. Infinity.

Rande,

He sounds like a great man. I recall listening to the podcast (I forget the www) where you explained your background in the brewing industry, and I remember how you spoke with real fondness about your trade.

His legacy lives on.

Stick":jzzfziyz said:
Rande,

He sounds like a great man.  I recall listening to the podcast (I forget the www) where you explained your background in the brewing industry, and I remember how you spoke with real fondness about your trade.  

His legacy lives on.
Indeed mate.

I found some old pics from a journey four of us from Pyramid made back in '94 to the World's Fair of brewery expositions - Brau '94 in Nuremberg.

Spent a very intense 5 days beginning in Belgium, then to Cologne, and finally the exposition. Toured breweries, brewpubs, drank a lot of world class beer, learned a lot.

Got to spend time with George up and personal, as did all of us. Good times man, good times.

I sent the pics with George to the organiser of the memorial service to be included in the gathering. Great to look at those again after all these years!

Cheers,

RR

Rande,

As long as anyone who met your friend lives he will always be a part of that person. His contributions to his craft will go on for as long as beer is made. He exists in infinity because he had you and others like you for a friend. You honor him by remembering all the good things he taught you and so do the rest of his friends and family. I think it is safe to say that sometime in the future when someone is starting his own brewery that he will read something about the process of running a brewery as a business and that he will come across a principle or recipe that your friend wrote and will know that your friend made a difference and be grateful that he had come and left his mark.

I'm sorry for your loss Rande. Please accept my sincere condolences.  :(

AJ