Manufacturing or customizing canes and/or staffs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Having mobility issues I've been directed by my doctors to have a cane with me at all times.

I sometimes carry around something I've made. Wondering if you've come up with some good ideas.

Do any of you make your own canes or walking sticks or hiking staffs?

I have a hickory, Derby handled, heavy walking cane from these folks. Welcome to Walking Cane Company - Selling Walking Canes Since 1999 Lot's of options. I had torn my inner meniscus pad on my right knee. Surgery or Ibuprofen and a cane were the options. It went everywhere with me for a bit over two years before I was able to set it aside. It's still here close to remind me to try not to be stupid.

I have. Made maybe 50 - 60 all hand carved. Both walking staffs & canes. I consider myself a carver though, as opposed to any kind of expert on the mechanics of canes. If I needed a cane for balance or support I think I’d get either a light weight alloy job…slender but very strong…or a good Irish Blackthorn one with a big round ball as the hand hold. But likely not one with the four tennis balls as a base. 😄,

I checked out the link Carlos left above. Really good selection of what look like solid choices.

I've made some out of various woods. To me, the thing about wooden staffs is they are fine on trails, grass, and other non hardened surfaces, but the tip could slip put from under you on other surfaces especially when wet. I bought some mountainsmith aluminum hiking staffs for about $30, and they are nice, can be collapsed, cork handles, and a wrist strap.

I’ve used tip assembly pieces in my canes that have interchangeable tips. One is a hard rubber for hard surfaces that can be unscrewed and replaced with a carbide tip for off road rambling. I’ve seen the available at woodworking sites like Lee Valley & Woodcraft and cane manufacturers also offer them.

I've made some out of various woods. To me, the thing about wooden staffs is they are fine on trails, grass, and other non hardened surfaces, but the tip could slip put from under you on other surfaces especially when wet. I bought some mountainsmith aluminum hiking staffs for about $30, and they are nice, can be collapsed, cork handles, and a wrist strap.
https://www.grainger.com/category/f...ers=webParentSkuKey&webParentSkuKey=WP7352847
They can still slip on wet surfaces but wood tips can even slide on dry surfaces.