Marmite!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
511wecYq3fL._AC_US160_.jpg

OK so this is very probably a love or hate relationship. No middle ground. I love it.

For those not familiar with it, it's a yeast extract with a very strong flavour. One spreads it on well buttered, well toasted bread. And very thinly, as a little goes a long way. This isn't peanut butter!

How to describe it here is difficult. Suffice to say that it's decidedly not sweet. Rather, it's bold, quite salty, and forthright. Savoury. I find it perfect for b'fast when this is centre stage. Not for those who are flavour challenged! A bit of an acquired taste admittedly, but once one has the taste there is no going back!

I remember author Bill Bryson describing it as looking like an industrial lubricant. That's pretty accurate actually. Heh!  :)

I've also tried the Australian equivalent Vegemite, and it's pretty close to Marmite but a bit different somehow.

Any other Marmite devotees here?

:D

Cheers,

RR

I like it a lot. I usually spread it on a cracker and put a small piece of cheddar on top. Umami city.

It's definitely an acquired taste, though, as you said.

Fight'n Hampsters":mb0q37wo said:
What type of stores would carry this? I wouldn't mind trying it.  Any national chains?
I get mine locally from the QFC (part of the Kroger chain). They have a small British import section. The small 4.4 oz (125 gm) jar sells for $7.99, and that's prolly double what it would be in Blighty!

If you have a British import store in your area they would likely stock it. Otherwise you can order it from amazon.

Cheers,

RR

Got to be a patriotic Aussie and chime in for vegemite here, much prefer it to marmite. Saltier and sharper in flavour, try it spread thinly on toast with a fried egg on top. Yum

When vegemite was first released, in the best Aussie humour, it was called Pawill. Get it Ma might, Pa will... 

Cheers

Tim

I have never had Marmite, but I have tried Vegemite. Not bad, but not something I will look for, although I can se ethe attraction. Probably an acquired taste.

A while back, for some reason I had a small jar (like a sample) and gave it to a co-worker who was raised in Oz. He dug in with his fingers and cleared the jar. I got the impression that he had it before and liked it.

Timbo":cs9wrlve said:
Got to be a patriotic Aussie and chime in for vegemite here, much prefer it to marmite. Saltier and sharper in flavour, try it spread thinly on toast with a fried egg on top. Yum

When vegemite was first released, in the best Aussie humour, it was called Pawill. Get it Ma might, Pa will... 

Cheers

Tim
Tim

I'll need to revisit Vegamite as it's been too many years. Seem to remember it as being "Marmite Lite". Not that that's a bad thing mind.

Cheers,

RR

Happy to send a jar your way if you've any troubles finding some BD. I suppose marmite is burley to vegemite's Virginias is the best taste analogy I can think of or perhaps a porter vs IPA. Shouldn't be too surprised you like the 'mites as they're both brewing by-products. 

A tasty snack is to lightly spread marmite/vegemite on puff pastry, roll it up and cut the log into coins then back till crispy.  Great with beer. 

Cheers

Tim