Mason Jar Ambiance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to store my aging MCClelland in old Ketchup jars. Just wipe out the Ketchup and you're ready to store.

gravel":00z25x7z said:
I prefer to store my aging MCClelland in old Ketchup jars. Just wipe out the Ketchup and you're ready to store.
Aaahhhh A true afficionado :twisted: :twisted:

idbowman":slllmqog said:
Dave_In_Philly":slllmqog said:
HCraven":slllmqog said:
ball_8oz.jpg

I use these jars almost exclusively. I don't buy a lot of bulk tobacco, so I rarely need or want anything larger (save the 16 oz variety of this jar for things that come in 100g tins). I like them because they're most like the original tins - shallow, with a wide mouth, and small enough that they don't leave a lot of room for moisture to escape the tobacco - but unlike those tins, they keep my weed moist. Right now, I've got a couple of dozen of them in use, mainly so I can smoke what I want, when I want it. I'm not using them expressly for aging tobacco, that's just a happy consequence of my modest smoking habit and ADD. I've got unopened tins full of stuff that is aging, I guess.

I don't use reclaimed jars because they are often too big, too narrow to reach in and get a pinch, and I'm not sure about the seals. Mason jars are tried and true for me, and I don't want to go back to worrying about my tobacco if I'm not smoking it at the moment.
The fact that these won't stack nicely drives me insane. For that reason - and that reason alone - I prefer the 8oz "jam style" mason jars for saving opened tins and the 16oz wide mouths for larger bulk purchases.
The fact that these won't stack properly drives me up a wall. The only way to keep them stacked and stable is to invert the top jar so that lid is balanced on lid...and that's just damn silly. I used half a flat's worth of these because I had them on hand (oddly, I don't remember ever buying them), and will never make that mistake again.
No argument about their lack of stackability, as it were. I keep mine in a couple of large, shallow drawers in a buffet. Kerr makes a nice 4oz jar that is similar but tapered, and stacks well, but then you need two per tin.

I buy in bulk for aging almost exlusively, and have gravitated toward half-pint Mason jars, often double-wrapped in plastic sheets. Plenty airtight for protracted periods, I've found. While appreciating the reuse of food jars from an ecological and thrift POV, I don't find them convenient or aesthetically pleasing for tobacco storage. Besides, a pack of twelve Mason half-pinters only costs a little more than a tube of stem polish or a couple bags of pipe cleaners. I'd rather splurge on the .80 cost of the Mason jar than confine my Gawith Best Brown in a jar that says Ragu or Hellman's on the cap.

I get a flat of wide mouth mason jars. Cut the plastic off of the top so I can access the jars. Pull a jar out, fill it, stick a label on top with contents & month/year. Flats stack just fine. Might not be at all decorative, more grocery store industrial, but it works..

I do a variation on that. I slit the platic on the wrap down the middle, stuff the jars and label them, I then use transparent strapping tape or posting tape to reseal the jars insde the original plastic wrap This way, I can still see what I have, it preserves th carboards separating the jars, the flats ate stackable, and each jar is snug and protected. Obviously I'm talking long-term storage here.

Growley":lem6or5l said:
My OCD would kick in big time if I had 50 different jar types running around. I like 'em the same, all alike and like each other. :D The only way jam jars would work well for me is if they were all the same.

Sign me up for interior decorating I guess.

The other day my wife was putting the dishes away. We have one of those open cabinets where you store the plates vertically, so you can see each one. Well, we have blue plates and orange plates, and we ALWAYS arrange them, blue, orange, blue orange, and so on.

Well, as she was putting them away I noticed that she was taking the time to turn each plate so that the flowers were all facing up... :fpalm: I said out loud, "I wish I hadn't seen you do that." She ask why. "Because I had never noticed the direction of the flowers before, but now that I have, it's going to drive me nuts if they're not the same."

I'm not always OCD....but when I am, I'm OCD about tobacco jars and plates. :D
Brian, I see your OCD and raise you an I ONLY use Ball jars. I don't like Kerr and throw them away when one enters my house (or save them and swap them with my sister who really doesn't care what the brand is). Doesn't matter what I'm storing or preserving in the jars. I go with Ball.

How's that for OCD???

monbla256":43271t34 said:
gravel":43271t34 said:
Aaahhhh A true afficionado :twisted: :twisted:
I knew you would appreciate that! :lol:

My preferred short-term storage solution is saved McClelland tins, the ones with the snug plastic tops. They stack easily, and access to the contents is convenient

I just inherited 3 boxes of mason jars (Ball, Kerr, Atlas, Hershey's, Magic Jar, etc...) their all really old and in really good condition. The only problem is the rings that thread to the jar are starting to rust or already have. Any possible ideas on how I can remedy it? (without buying new rings?) The wife is nervous about chemicals, as the jars will be for canned foods in addition to tobacco use.

For canning, you only need the rings while cooling. Cooled causes the vacuum that must be present to preserve food. Make sure you understand the canning process and the sterilization process. The canning jar companies should have that info on their site.

For tobacco, a bit of rust on the ring isn't a biggy. Aging doesn't involve the use of a vacuum and the rings continue to play a part.

There is no "chemical" involved in this. The product is lightly coated zinc over mild steel. A wire brushing should make them usable. Uses one without rust in the area that contacts the lid.

I suppose I should have been more clear, she was afraid of using something Like CLR on the rusted rings because she doesn't want chemicals in our food. But thanks for the wire brush idea. My father in law said sand paper and that seemed like too much work. I'm lazy... but a wire brush will be faster :)

gravel":t59tips3 said:

God,...we got class.