Masters degree injury

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Lately I have been nearing the end of a masters degree so that has meant lots of time spent at a computer typing and clicking. About 2 weeks ago I began experiencing this sharp pain in my elbow and it always seemed to be after time at the desk. This Saturday it was intense...and it went from the elbow to the middle of my forearm.
I looked it up...turns out there is condition called "computer elbow" which is much like tennis elbow.

I never expected I would face an injury from too much homework.

I once read that there is a direct correlation between final exams and an increase in cheek acne because of amount of time students sit hunched over text books propping their heads up with one hand, usually on their cheek or forehead. Education seems to be rather bad for your health.

Working on my doctoral stuff I ended up in a wrist brace - yikes!

Its a masters in Educational Leadership. I have been studying rates of staff turn-over in international schools, reasons for it and ways to address them and hopefully minimize the rate of turn-over.

Psmith":dw96p53m said:
Its a masters in Educational Leadership.  I have been studying rates of staff turn-over in international schools, reasons for it and ways to address them and hopefully minimize the rate of turn-over.
Interesting results?

Psmith":bsuvj8xl said:
Its a masters in Educational Leadership.  I have been studying rates of staff turn-over in international schools, reasons for it and ways to address them and hopefully minimize the rate of turn-over.
Spooky. I've just finished a Masters in Educational Leadership here in Blighty with the Open University. Happy to share notes / papers if required. ..

Seems like pipe smokers can be an educated lot! I have a MSc in Information Security from Royal Holloway-University of London. How many more "masters" around here?

Hi Roy,

The findings showed that the biggest reason teachers leave after 1 or 2 years is because of disappointment in school admin (a sense that admin doesn't care about them, is only focused on profit, does not communicate well etc..). The findings also show that teachers in international school are under a considerable amount of stress (culture shock, isolation, feelings of de-professionalization if their training or skills don't necessarily translate to the new place where they work). For teachers overseas their school becomes central to their lives and admin take on a kind of parental/caregiver role in their lives (often unbeknownst to admin themselves).
So...if admin at international schools want teachers to stay, or at least be happy, they need to create an environment in which teachers feel cared for, can feel important and listened to. That sense of consideration actually trumps salary.
To make that happen I then looked to models of distributed leadership, pastoral care and mini professional learning communities (or PLCs as they are called) as ways to address these issues.
My masters is project based...it will conclude with an in-depth article written for the quarterly magazine of the British Columbia Principals Association and a Podcast to be shared with the 40 some administrators working at BC Offshore schools around the globe. Those bits are the next step...to be completed in the next couple weeks.

Thanks Stick. It would be cool to connect and share stuff. What kind of setting are you in? I'm in a British Columbia Offshore School located in South Korea.