Match Presbyterian

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
The manufacturer of tinned Presbyterian Mixture has prohibited a large internet vendor from selling a "clone" blend as Match Presbyterian. The vendor announced some time ago, it would sell the components as a kit, for the consumer to blend. After the kit was announced, the "kit" was never in stock until today. Tinned Presbyterian Mixture sells for about 5.70 oz. The Match kit, if purchased in 8 oz. quantity is $1.93 oz. about 1/3 the price of tinned Presbyterian Mixture.
pb-pfk.png

I received an email announcing this information this morning from the internet vendor, with whom I have no relationship other than as a customer.

RSteve, pretty sure we all know who the "Match" vendor might be!! Some of this renaming started with the Dunhill blends (i.e., Match 20 for DH 965!) and the H&H series (Prince Albert=Prince Andrew!). On a personal aside, while I've enjoyed smoking various "match" blends (I'm looking at jars of match B.S.759 & the aforementioned match Presby Mixture) in their own right; I can't swear that they smoke/taste like the originals. They are/were all good smokes, however!! FWIW...FTRPLT

Right click on the photo, copy image address and you can ascertain the vendor, if you desire. Many of the Match blends are extremely close to an iteration of the original.

On a personal aside, while I've enjoyed smoking various "match" blends (I'm looking at jars of match B.S.759 & the aforementioned match Presby Mixture) in their own right; I can't swear that they smoke/taste like the originals. They are/were all good smokes, however!! FWIW...FTRPLT
Over several years, I personally think, B.S. 759 had some changes to the blend. I think the "Match" is very close in flavor to one of the releases. I do like it.

Well, the Match kit arrived today, but it wasn't a Pre-built blend kit. It was one ziplock filled with tobacco. The kit was supposed to include Latakia, Oriental, Turkish, Virginia. It appears to be 80% Virginia, 10% Oriental, and 10% Turkish. If there is Latakia, it's just a pinch of which I could find none. I smoked one bowl and it tastes like straight Virginia.

One ziplock filled with tobacco arrived today. It appears to be 80% Virginia, 10% Oriental, and 10% Turkish. If there is Latakia, it's just a pinch of which I could find none. I smoked one bowl and it tastes like straight Virginia.
So, I'm debating what to do with it. My first impulse, after smoking one bowl and not getting a kit, was to send it back. The only reason I ordered it was to get a "kit" and see what the vendor's blender had ascertained were the components. I think the "kit" may only exist as descriptive copy.
Really, would the vendor really want a consumer to know the ratio of components of a blend? I doubt it.
I sent an email to customer service, but have received no response; actually would have been surprised if I'd received one. I'd send it back if the vendor would send me a pre-paid RMA. Shipping back and forth would cost more than the tobacco.
So, I may add some Latakia or dump it into a remainders container. Over the decades, I, as I'm certain have many others, purchased tobacco that I chalk up to being a mistake.

I've received the wrong tobacco from said vendor. Contacted them (I think I called). They gladly replaced it. Maybe you received the wrong thing?

So, I'm debating what to do with it. My first impulse, after smoking one bowl and not getting a kit, was to send it back. The only reason I ordered it was to get a "kit" and see what the vendor's blender had ascertained were the components. I think the "kit" may only exist as descriptive copy.
Really, would the vendor really want a consumer to know the ratio of components of a blend? I doubt it.
I sent an email to customer service, but have received no response; actually would have been surprised if I'd received one. I'd send it back if the vendor would send me a pre-paid RMA. Shipping back and forth would cost more than the tobacco.
So, I may add some Latakia or dump it into a remainders container. Over the decades, I, as I'm certain have many others, purchased tobacco that I chalk up to being a mistake.
Yepper. I usually try to salvage a so so blend but if it really sucks like the John Bull burley I got from P&C I just chalk it to experience and toss it. Life is too short for bad tobacco or bad whiskey.