Matchbox covers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showme1or2

Reaction score
I know many pipe smokers have a variety and even a collection of lighters. Style and function can be combined to perhaps show the personality of the owner. But what about folks who only use matches? I thought the variety here began and ended with paper or wood, and brand on the box.

Today, however, while putting away Christmas decorations, I picked up a box of matches that was wrapped in a piece of metal decorated with holly leaves and bows. There was an opening down one striker side for obvious reasons. My wife swears we've had this for years but I still maintain I've never seen it; or anything like it before.

A quick internet search revealed a world of matchbox covers. I figured that where there are matchbox covers there might be matchbox users. Pipe smokers often use matches and, being a collective-ly (?) inclined bunch, I wondered if anyone here owns or uses these quite neat matchbox covers.

showme

No but I like the idea. A lot of possibilities! I'd like to see a photo of your find.

The one I found today is already in the attic. I've got to go back up there tomorrow to put up a left out box of lights. I'll grab it then and post a pic.

Here is a link to a nice history of regular match boxes, but not the covers I'm talking about: http://www.protimient.com/MatchBoxLabels.pdf

Here is a pic similar in nature, but different in style to mine:

matchb11.jpg
[/url][/img]

I've learned they are also called matchbox holders.

showme

I've also seen a couple that are plain, smooth silver; would be very nice for engraving people's names or the name of a pipe club.

Speaking of matches. A matchless friend toted a case of diamond matches to the 07 Smoker and gifted them to me. The one problem with matches is that they are a two handed operation. I solved that problem by dumping the matches, several boxes, into a small pudding cup. I cut a striker box down the meiddle with scizzors, unfolded it flat and placed it on a piece of rubberized waffle no skid kitchen drawer liner. Now when at my "desk", 39.99 fold out Staples table, I can grab a match with one hand and strike it. Not exactly science, but it is evolutionary. Not pretty either, but functional stuff doesn't have to be. I alternate between matches and an Old Boy lighter. Usually when the Old Boy runs out of gas (enter gatewheel) it lingers on my "desk" for a spell.

Imagine an Old Boy lingering on a cheap desk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no don't.

:bounce:

Hey showme. I have a number of covers I purchased from Georgetown tobacco a number of years ago. I have three that are standard size and a couple that are a little longer. I think the longer ones are cigar match covers. Mine are very colorful and I have got to get ahold of my daughter so I can post some pics. I use stick matches outside as my old boy lighter doesn't seem to want to light outside. The cover I'm using now has a lighthouse on one side and a compass on the other.

This is very cool. I would like to find myself one, two, or a few.

:pipe:

m2j3t6":awk9osig said:
Hey showme. I have a number of covers I purchased from Georgetown tobacco a number of years ago.
Very cool, m2. I'd love to see them.

If anyone knows of a current source for such things, please let me know.

Here are a couple pics of my Christmas holder. It is made by Gage Industries, Inc.

IMGP0024.jpg
IMGP0025.jpg

showme

Carlos":lscefv0a said:
How does that Christmas Holder work? Does a box of matches slide in?
Yep, Carlos, a box slides right in and the open side is for striking.

Like Jason pointed out, construction is so simple. I suppose it could be easily bent if sat on (which I would most likely do), but I think it is pretty neat. Anybody think they could make one?

CP, no eagles, but the first one is a phoenix.

Mark, heheeh, I thought you meant the artwork on the holder. It is nice and all, but I didn't think especially nice. And I wondered how many holders you had and how the art had gotten so worn out, hahahahaha. (Thank you.)

showme