Matching Pipes to Certain Tobaccos?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
So I've been shopping for my next pipe - leaning toward a Stanwell 240 or 242 because I want something small. As I've been shopping I've been seeing things like "this pipe would be perfect for X type of tobacco". Like I saw one 242 that said "this would be a great pipe for coin tobacco".

First of all, I don't know what the heck "con tobacco" is - nor why that shape lends it self to said tobacco. Can someone shed some light on this or point me to a link that does? All I've been able to find on pipe selection is basically buy what you like, what looks good to you, and smoke it.

Others can probably speak to this better because most all of my pipes have only ever had 1-2 blends of tobacco smoked in them but mostly 1.

It is better to dedicate pipes to one type of tobacco than it is to smoke many different types in one pipe. When I say types I am not talking about one particular brand but rather English blends, VA blends, Natural Burley blends or aromaics. Different tobaccos can "ghost" a pipe. For example, If you have been smoking English blends with heavy Latakia in a pipe for a while and then decide to smoke a VA blend, the Latakia blend will confuse the full flavor of the VA blend that you are expecting. Also as you will hear many "old timers" say, your palette will become confused as well as the pipe itself. I cannot speak for everyone for sure, but these things definitely hold true for my smoking experience. Besides it is a very good excuse for most folks to acquire more pipes. :lol:

Three Nuns was a coin tobacco. Escudo, if memory serves, is one. Rolled up like a sausage, then sliced very thin into "coins."

Especially if you're just starting out, you will have a frustratingly hard time smoking flake Virginias in a bowl wider inside than 13/16" (19 mm.) or taller than an average billiard.

English-style mixtures, maybe around 7/8" but leave the wide chambers for later, should your taste run in that direction. The wider the chamber, the more difficult it is to keep it smoldering evenly without drawing too heavily & frequently (which overheats your pipe and generally scorches your tongue).

That said, some pipes just shine with certain tobaccos and don't get along well with others.

Pipes are female.

Sometimes you have to experiment to find a combination of pipe & tobacco that works well.

There are a bunch of interesting musings at GL Pease's site about stuff like this.

:face:

Yak":tuh4qs6w said:
Pipes are female.
That had me laughing pretty good!

JP I'd heard about that, which is why I have a certain pipe that's my burley pipe, etc.

I'll check out the GLP site, thanks for the tip.

As I smoke English blends about 90% of the time, I don't worry too much about tobacco/pipe parings. However, I do designate certain pipes for Virginias. The ghosting of the English blends will affect the taste of the Virginias (not so much the other way around). I also limit Virginias to smaller bowls.

Some guys take this to the point of particular blends for particular pipes. While I have to admit that I do that to some extent (I only smoke Astley tobacco in Astley pipes, for example), I don't think it matters much within a general taste profile. That is, smoking different English or Balkan blends in the same pipe is O.K. with me.

I think Yak covered it pretty well. I don't have a set pipe for a set blend. I have a couple of smaller pipes that I use for Virginia's. My larger pipes I use for English blends and the medium to larger size bowls for burley's. Aromatics have a couple of medium sized bowl pipes that are set aside for this type of blend.

As with many of the good folks on this board, I only smoke English/Balkan/Oriental blends. I do use several of my smaller-bowled piped for non-latweed flakes. Other than that, neither my pipes nor I care :lol: :pipe: FTRPLT

I tend to try and dedicate a pipe for each blend I smoke as not to cross contaminate any flavor however I can understand why others smoke several non-aromatic blends in the same pipe. Certain blends are so close in flavor that I doubt it would taint any pipe. I haven’t been one to try and experiment much with trying certain blends in different pipes however I will admit to a quirky little way of choosing which pipe gets dedicated to which blend. I tend to “read” my pipes and truly enjoy and appreciate their artistic qualities and if a certain pipe reminds me of I blend I smoke or keep on hand I pair them up. I know it sounds a little weird but it works for me. With that being said if I do run into a blend that, for whatever reason, doesn’t smoke well in a certain pipe I will not hesitate to “break up the marriage”.

BB1544... Doesn't sound weird at all. :no: I'd bet we each have some personal "routine" with our pipes & tobacco. I have a place for each of my pipes; pipe always goes back in it's place when finished smoking. I remember where, when, and how each of my pipes (135+) came into my possession. I also remember when I last smoked a particular pipe. I don't have a defined rotation, as some do; but my pipes get plenty of rest between smokes! Now if I could just remember other things as well as these, I'd remember where I last put my glasses!! FTRPLT