Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Some of you may know that besides being a cartoonist, I'm also a comic book historian, and associate editor of Alter Ego magazine, which is dedicated to comics history. I've written or co-written four books, and edited/ co-wrote the book on which my friend Ian McDowell based this article concerning artist Matt Baker. The book is Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour.

Here is a link to the article where I am prominently mentioned:
yesweekly.com/piedmont-born-comic-book-pioneer-matt-baker/

Very cool link Jim.

So, what do you think about the contemporaries in your day and age? Such as Al Capp, Walt Kelly, Schulz, and the like?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

JimInks":agxybggq said:
Some of you may know that besides being a cartoonist, I'm also a comic book historian, and associate editor of Alter Ego magazine, which is dedicated to comics history. I've written or co-written four books, and edited/ co-wrote the book on which my friend Ian McDowell based this article concerning artist Matt Baker. The book is Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour.

Here is a link to the article where I am prominently mentioned:
yesweekly.com/piedmont-born-comic-book-pioneer-matt-baker/
Man, that's a cool article--I've seen Matt Baker's work of course but had no idea he had such an interesting backstory...or that you did! Huge Roy Thomas fan since I was a nipper, must be a cool guy to work with. Will look for Alter Ego next time I'm in the comic shop.

Brewdude":u4nrtas6 said:
Very cool link Jim.

So, what do you think about the contemporaries in your day and age? Such as Al Capp, Walt Kelly, Schulz, and the like?

Cheers,

RR
Apologies for the late reply. The question you ask is wide enough to write a book about. I honestly don't know to begin answering it, except to say they did classic work, and Al Capp was a strange man. There's a book out about him, though I haven't picked it up, that covers his life. The stories I've heard about Capp are not suitable for this forum.

Schulz was amazing because nobody helped him do one single strip. He wrote, drew, lettered and colored every single Peanuts strip without help for 50 years. The others you mention had tons of help.

Kelly's Pogo is being reprinted from the beginning of the strip. I don't know much about him personally.

JimInks":y9aezc5d said:
Brewdude":y9aezc5d said:
Very cool link Jim.

Cheers,

RR
Apologies for the late reply. The question you ask is wide enough to write a book about. I honestly don't know to begin answering it, except to say they did classic work, and Al Capp was a strange man. There's a book out about him, though I haven't picked it up, that covers his life. The stories I've heard about Capp are not suitable for this forum.

Schulz was amazing because nobody helped him do one single strip. He wrote, drew, lettered and colored every single Peanuts strip without help for 50 years. The others you mention had tons of help.

Kelly's Pogo is being reprinted from the beginning of the strip. I don't know much about him personally.
I appreciate the reply Jim.

Yes, Capp was a strange guy. And while his strips were great in all aspects, his personal motivations and political beliefs made him a lightning rod back in the day. Talk about non-pc! But that wasn't much of an issue back then. Not like today. More than that I won't go into here. Not germane.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":gwb1uzqk said:
JimInks":gwb1uzqk said:
Brewdude":gwb1uzqk said:
Very cool link Jim.

Cheers,

RR

Yes, Capp was a strange guy. And while his strips were great in all aspects, his personal motivations and political beliefs made him a lightning rod back in the day. Talk about non-pc! But that wasn't much of an issue back then. Not like today. More than that I won't go into here. Not germane.

Cheers,

RR
It's been a long time since we chatted. Give me a call and I'll tell you a couple Capp stories. Can't print them here due to the salacious content.

JimInks":02q9zhpf said:
Brewdude":02q9zhpf said:
JimInks":02q9zhpf said:
Brewdude":02q9zhpf said:
Very cool link Jim.

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
It's been a long time since we chatted. Give me a call and I'll tell you a couple Capp stories. Can't print them here due to the salacious content.

Will do Jim. And it's patently obvious that I've chosen to a Capp character for my current avatar. Those of us who know his work will recognise this. No other explanation necessary, expect to say that I've been accused of this in the past and figure I should own up to it!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":5ih4ezwu said:
JimInks":5ih4ezwu said:
JimInks":5ih4ezwu said:
Very cool link Jim.

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

Will do Jim. And it's patently obvious that I've chosen to a Capp character for my current avatar. Those of us who know his work will recognise this. No other explanation necessary, expect to say that I've been accused of this in the past and figure I should own up to it!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR
Really great to chat and catch up today Jim.  We need to do this more often!

8)

Cheers,

RR

I recall Al Capp as a fairly frequent guest on Johnny Carson. Then, not too long ago, I saw a teevee profile of Carson including his, shall we say, personal pursuits and interests. He was said to loathe Tonight guests who were scripted and wouldn’t budge from the planned interview. Carson liked adlibbing, so enjoyed guests like Capp who were unpredictable, controversial and said stuff you were unlikely to hear anyplace else. I thought Capp and Jonathan Winters, another frequent guest, were similar in ther productivity, inventiveness and consistent ability to present a recognizable though askew view of the world. I think if I had been a cartoonist I’d have had night terrors about running dry.