Maybe The Time To Move to the Suburbs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
From the Mpls Star Tribune:
St. Paul homeowners will see hefty property tax increases in 2022 if officials sign off on plans introduced in recent weeks.
A joint panel of city, county and schools officials learned Monday that property taxes on the city's homes could rise by 11%, under their respective tax-levy plans and other factors.

Just before I fled WA state when I retired 3 years ago, property taxes were set to rise ~18% in my area due to a school levy. I was already paying ~$4200/yr which was excessive. When I bought that house 20 years earlier taxes were ~$1800. So no, I would not have been amused at ~$4950/yr!

No Cheers,

RR

When I bought my 1st house in Oxnard my property taxes were $9,987 per year. And no it was not a Malibu mansion, just your ordinary 4 BR, 2 BA, 2500 sq. ft. suburban home. Taxes on our house here in Prescott are under $2500 a year and it's a bigger house. Love it.

When I bought my 1st house in Oxnard my property taxes were $9,987 per year. And no it was not a Malibu mansion, just your ordinary 4 BR, 2 BA, 2500 sq. ft. suburban home. Taxes on our house here in Prescott are under $2500 a year and it's a bigger house. Love it.
WoW, even $10 grand sounds good to me. I pay more property taxes in a month here then I pay in a year for my home in SoAZ.

I have a small to medium sized home in the city. My property tax is $5000 year. It has doubled since 2011. My older daughter has a four bedroom home in a St. Paul suburb. The walk-out lower level is unfinished. She wants me to build out that level into a studio apartment and move in. I'm starting to consider it.

Sounds like it might be a reasonable idea. We all like our independence but having family nearby as we get older has benefits. Guess it depends mostly on the kind of relationship you have with the daughter and her family.

Guess it depends mostly on the kind of relationship you have with the daughter and her family.
When I told my younger daughter that I was considering creating a studio apartment at my older daughter's house, she immediately said, "Daddy, why don't you move in with us? We already have plenty of room and the kids would love to have you living here." I have excellent relationships with both daughters. My older daughter doesn't have kids and I'll be 80 before my younger daughter's youngest turns school age. Today, I'm fine with kids running around making noise, but in a couple of years, who knows?

Seems like you have several great options Steve. But maybe the biggest decision is if you are ready to sacrifice some of your privacy. Cheers, RR
Privacy is the significant issue, of course. The question becomes, "At this age and older, how much privacy do I need?" For the first six years of my life, my mother, father, brother and I lived in a lower duplex with my maternal grandmother, uncle, and cousin living in the upper. The doors connecting the upper and lower were never closed.
My mother was a classically trained pianist who loved to play the pop music of the day. We had a huge upright piano in an area that divided the dining room from the living room. Directly above the piano, in the ceiling, to the unknowing observer, there was an open heat grate. Directly above the grate in the upper was an identical grate in the floor. We had radiators for heat. The grates were just decorative to disguise the open channel above the piano, so my grandmother could sit in her rocker upstairs and clearly hear my mother play the piano and sometimes the piano and my mother and a bunch of kids singing.
My mom died in 1954 at age 42. I can still hear the piano in my thoughts.

Last edited: