Maytag clothers washer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning when I started a load of washing, the washing machine was making odd noises. And then I noticed the agitator was not spinning when it should have been. Then I smelled a burning rubber smell, so quickly shut it off. Only one thing could be happening and that would be the drive belts under the unit seizing up while the motor was turning.

By now I had the machine full of wash water and clothes, so had to bail it out in order to get at the underside. Took off the front panel and everything looked OK there. Pulled out the machine from the wall and tipped it back to an angle where I could see the drive belts as they are mounted on the underside of the floor.

This unit was the top of the line Maytag I bought new in '90 and have had the belts replaced once, so I knew a little about how they function.

None of the 2 belts were broken, frayed or worn looking. So proceeded to work them as though the motor was turning them. I was looking to see if everything was free and not seized and everything seemed OK. I continued to do this for a few more minutes just to make sure.

After I was reasonably confident that the belts turned OK, I stood the machine on its feet again and switched the cycle to spin. This went just fine and no evidence of jerking or stopping.

I then loaded the wet clothes back in and started another wash cycle. I made sure I was nearby so I could hear any noises that weren't normal. This wash cycle progressed just like it should have. Went on to a second and larger load and this performed fine as well.

So far so good, and I didn't have to call in a repair service which could have been very expensive. That's the last thing I need right now this close to moving.

I'm no ace mechanic but it seems like I've won this round!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Is the agitator tight against its drive cog or whatever the hell you call it? I've had them loosen and make kind of a grinding noise.

Richard Burley":pwsicqiw said:
Is the agitator tight against its drive cog or whatever the hell you call it? I've had them loosen and make kind of a grinding noise.
Didn't seem like it Richard, but what the hell do I know. All I can say is that it works now!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":lazwo6pg said:
Richard Burley":lazwo6pg said:
Didn't seem like it Richard, but what the hell do I know. All I can say is that it works now!
It will only chatter with a light load weight, in my experience. But since you used the same load and it now works, my suggestion seems irrelevant. But the burnt smell is troubling. Good luck, and don't burn the house down.

Do you know if there is a belt tensioner. .? A loose belt that slips will cause a burning smell.

Dang cheap junk...only ran it for 18 years, eh? Tsk, tsk.

Any burned rubber smell is very likely caused by...yup, burning rubber (belt?). Duh. I’m thinking you’re on the right track. Good suggestion re looking for/at a tensioner.

I’d look up the model or just ask question re symptoms in a Maytag forum...or appliance hotline. I’ve “solved” several off the wall problems with washer & a dryer by doing that.

Fingers crossed.

Brewdude":abkd85p5 said:
hobie1dog":abkd85p5 said:
Do you know if there is a belt tensioner. .?  A loose belt that slips will cause a burning smell.
Good point. No I don't but will look at the manual. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

RR
Working as a commercial HVAC tech and multi-craft facilities technician for 30 years, a belt which slips will create excess friction and burn the outer surface of the belt. But also a bad bearing on the motor or the tub will cause the belt to slip in either v-groove pully, which would be my first guess. Years of use and high torsional loads take their tolls on bearings.  Once a bearing starts breaking up ( individual balls come apart ),  it goes to hell in a hand basket pretty quickly.
If you get access to the back or underside again, slip the belt off and turn the motor by hand and listen/feel for bearing noise, and do the same for the tub and tensioner roller bearing.