McCelland Bombay Court

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpkrause

Reaction score
This was my first Latakia. If all Latakia are like this, I am hooked. I am not an experienced smoker, this isn't going to be some profound review that compares this to a wide range of tobaccos. To date, I have smoked mostly aromatic tobaccos. Today I found out what I missing out on by not expanding beyond my comfort zone. The first thing I notice upon opening tin is that this smells nothing like what I have tried to date. It smells of wood smoke and cedar to me, an almost black pepper spice to it. I find this intriguing. On the first light, it is again the smell that hits me. More spice and wood smoke roll over me, the faint memory of BBQ smoke comes to mind. Being a huge fan of BBQ, I begin to salivate just a little. Second light and now my first real taste. The taste lives up to the promise of the smell. So much flavor and somehow the smell just enhances it all. Again I feel like I am tasting hickory smoke and spice, with just a touch of sourness to it all. Some how this vinegar background note unifies the whole taste experience for me. The taste is smooth and even throughout the whole smoke, unlike a lot of the other aromatics I have tried. I get to the end of the bowl and keep re-lighting that last little bit hoping to prolong the experience just a little bit longer. I think I might be in love. I will definitely be stocking up on this tobacco.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tobacco's that actually have flavor. Enjoy the ride brother. May I suggest you give Boswell's Northwoods a try.

McClelland's makes some EXCELENT English/Balkan style of blends of which Bombay Court is a sterling example :p If you'd like a bit more Latakia and more Turkish/Orientals give their Oriental #14 a try next :p

After reading this post, I remembered that sometime ago, I had purchased a tin of this blend, but had never sampled it. Looking through the cellar, actually a 4 tier bookcase, I found the tin in question deep at the back on the top shelf and decided now would be a good time for a taste.

The code on the bottom of the tin says "350803", so I am guessing this tin to be from August of 2003. Figuring the age probably dampened the aroma of the tin, I was not suprised that the opening was not accompanied by the aroma you described. I found that there was a very mild spice smell accompanied by a slight astrincency, almost a vinegary smell.

The tobacco was still fairly moist, not wet, mind you, but more moist than I prefer, so I set about 2 bowls worth out on a small dish to dry for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the tobacco was just beginning to take on a slight crispiness on top, so I loaded it into a small cherrywood, about a size3 or 4 bowl, and applied a match.

After the char, the bowl took a good light and smoked to the botton with only a re-light a little pst the 1/2 way mark.

The smoke had a slight sweetness to it with a musty smokiness which I would expect from a va/lat blend. The taste overall was, I felt, more subdued than I get from most virginias and not as complex as I had expected, but none the less, satisfying.

I found that the blend is very easy to sip, which makes it ideal, for me, as I enjoy reading while smoking. As it required so little attention I was able to enjoy it while reading, with subtle occassional notes of the flavor slipping into my concentration.

Though I don't see this blend usurping any of the blends that I usually smoke, it is a nice change of pace. The remainder of the 100 gram tin fit nicely into two small Ball jars and will remain available for future enjoyment.

I have had this one on my Latakia list for a while. All the McClelland Personal Reserve blends that I have tried so far from Blackwoods to British Woods have been really good.