McClelland and Flakes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaupipe

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here smoking some 4 year old St. James Woods and wondering: McClelland produces some great Virginias and VaPers in broken flake form. Given the popularity of flakes these days, especially those from SG and G&H and PS, does anyone know why they don't produce any classically styled flakes, pretty row-upon-row flakes in little rectangular tins? They seem to have the right equipment on hand. They'd sell tons.

Is it just the tins?

A very good question. Sometimes you get a sizable group of very nice, perfectly cut flakes in the McCelland-made tins (e.g., in Epitome, Blakeney's Best Tawny Flake, Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake), but more often than not they are either partially pre-broken (intentional) or at least half or more broken-up by jostling around in the round, loosely-packed tin.

Perhaps the issue here is that of the (perceived?) benefits of loose packing (the idea being that flakes need air / room to age well in the tin)? Or, just McClelland brand identification (like the whale - you see it on the shelf, and know what it is)? Or something else entirely?

Whatever the case, I too would sure not mind having some of their flake preparations available sardine-style as in the Euro tins. That would be great.

I think it would be a good idea. I know C&D for one is able to fit regular flakes into the round tins, although they are a bit harder to get out in one piece than the euro tins as Kap just described them. Even though I usually break them up at least somewhat, I love the look of a flake tobacco in the tin.

My theory is that after Mac Baren makes their perfect Navy Flake, they sweep up the floor and mail it to McClelland. :bball:

Intersting, will keep my mouth shut here, Broken or full flake, McClelland baccy is really good, I like their blends alot!

Sasquatch":y5bc9m8r said:
My theory is that after Mac Baren makes their perfect Navy Flake, they sweep up the floor and mail it to McClelland. :bball:
Shucks, squatch, I thought you liked McClellands; you highly recommended Legends and Jubilee to me... Having a change of mind? Too bad, I just sent you a couple of tins of the aforementioned. :cry:

If Mc's made flakes like others they wouldn't be Mc! :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

babysinister":qz37i9zo said:
Sasquatch":qz37i9zo said:
Shucks, squatch, I thought you liked McClellands; you highly recommended Legends and Jubilee to me... Having a change of mind? Too bad, I just sent you a couple of tins of the aforementioned. :cry:
Now worries good Sir, I would gladly receive the shipment on SAS' behalf" :lol:

Neither blend is a flake so I'm safe!

I will say that I don't particularly like how McClelland makes flakes, I find them kind of difficult to deal with compared to other brands. But they do taste great.

Sasquatch":ysaa3or1 said:

I will say that I don't particularly like how McClelland makes flakes, I find them kind of difficult to deal with compared to other brands. But they do taste great.
:cheers: :cheers:

I fancy some McC blends... However, I do find their broken flakes a bit annoying. I find that they are difficult to rub out to the consistency that I prefer.

Sasquatch":bk556eil said:

So then, it's only their flakes that are made from MacBaren sweepings, in your opinion? :p

From what I have seen those pretty side by side flakes only happen when you hand pack the tins - my guess is they opted for cheaper higher rate tin filling - not to knock them for it...