mcClelland blend recipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebitmountain

Reaction score
Devastated that Kings Oriental is no longer available. Seeking the recipe to blend my own. Has this wheel already been invented?

Well, what are you looking for in particular? Oriental whole leaf is becoming readily available from Wholeleaf.com, Leafonly.com, and, uh, oh crap, forgot the other guys. Fairtradetobacco? Maybe.

Then, Find yourself some Red Virginia. One of those folks have red leaf by the pound for sale, or, another option is Pipesandcigars.com has a newish red Virginia ribbon, RC-1, that, with some tweeking, can provide a reasonable base for your blends.

Or, the option I generally employ, start growing and processing your own. But, unless you're willing to wait a few years for your stuff to mature, that's the Long Game.

Hope this helps!

One of the challenges in reproducing McClelland blends with orientals is that they often used very specific varietals of orientals. While other blenders would say orientals as if it were one type of lead McClelland would list Yendije, Izmir or Macedonian, etc. This would probably make a difference.

I'v been a big fan of the McC Grand Orientals for blending. I tried some of the Leafonly Orientals, they had Yenidje and others, but I couldn't mix anything resembling the McC stuff. Sooo,  still looking myself. Have maybe a year's supply of a couple of Grand Orientals if I ration myself.