McClelland Going Out of Business

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
Anyone have confirmation for or against the rumors that McClelland is closing in the near future?

I have no information either way but it would make sense in light of all the regulations. After all the longer they stay in business the greater the risk that they will run afoul the regs. My understanding is infractions won't be cheap. If you have the ability buy what you can because it won't ever be cheaper or easier to get than right now.

Jim

hufflepuff.....

Disheartening to read this about Mc Clelland.  There comes a point when you do what you gotta do to cut your losses.  

Losing a business because of unfortunate decisions is one thing, but to be forced out of business because you can't or won't comply with punitive regulations, is another thing, entirely.

Unchecked gov't. regulations will eventually call all things under the sway of its laws.  Tyranny is alive and well in the USA.  Deregualtion might help us.

Frank
NYC

ZeroContent":jtz5f82f said:
Anyone have confirmation for or against the rumors that McClelland is closing in the near future?
Yes, this is the concern many of us have Zero. The indications all seem to point to this, yet until the folks at McC step forward and announce it I'll still my angst.

In the meantime there are many of their products still on the shelves. Get 'em while they're still there sez I. Always a good time to stock up no matter what!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Arg!  I have not been a devotee of McC blends but hate the possibility of them going away.  It makes me concerned about the other manufacturers out there that I get most of my blends from.  As has been said, get your faves from any manufacturer now because it will not be easier or cheaper as time goes on.

:( :(

BriarPipeNYC":2x09cnoq said:
Disheartening to read this about Mc Clelland.
Indeed. My favorite tobacco company. Feel they do just about everything right. And for me, the last one standing that still holds as much x, y, and z as when I started the pipe. All that nostalgia rests on their shoulders.

BriarPipeNYC":2x09cnoq said:
Losing a business because of unfortunate decisions is one thing, but to be forced out of business because you can't or won't comply with punitive regulations, is another thing, entirely.
Without them saying, or seeing a reputable article on the subject, it seems as if people are implying it IS their decision to possibly walk away. Maybe the business isn't as fruitful as we might assume, but if it is, and if they were to make a decision to walk away, then I wouldn't place that responsibility on anyone else but them. Things change. It's nature and life. If it isn't worth the bother, that's on them. Doesn't seem like all will react this way. The cost/benefit is on no one else.

I truly hope this is all a dark rumor. Truly. Truly. Truly.

Zeno Marx":d15w3l2g said:
BriarPipeNYC":d15w3l2g said:
Disheartening to read this about Mc Clelland.
Indeed.  My favorite tobacco company.  Feel they do just about everything right.  And for me, the last one standing that still holds as much x, y, and z as when I started the pipe.  All that nostalgia rests on their shoulders.

BriarPipeNYC":d15w3l2g said:
Without them saying, or seeing a reputable article on the subject, it seems as if people are implying it IS their decision to possibly walk away.  Maybe the business isn't as fruitful as we might assume, but if it is, and if they were to make a decision to walk away, then I wouldn't place that responsibility on anyone else but them.  Things change.  It's nature and life.  If it isn't worth the bother, that's on them.  Doesn't seem like all will react this way.  The cost/benefit is on no one else.

I truly hope this is all a dark rumor.  Truly.  Truly.  Truly.
Amen and Amen brother!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

Although I think there will always be pipe smokers, I think that on the whole we are a dying breed. I am not really old or young (39) but suspect that we as a group are not getting any younger.

This along with coming Regs does not seem to bode well for the industry. I can see it making it less profitable. Call me a little naïve but I figured McClellands, C&D, Pease etc do what they do primarily because it is a passion. While that may be the case, I am not naive enough as to assume that money and profit do not factor heavily to decisions. That and passions change along with everything else.

I have said before that I think the 2000's were the golden age of pipe tobacco, particularly when it comes to variety and depth of quality and choice. I don't think there has been a time when it has been so easy to get blends from overseas and also have so many great domestic blends at our virtual finger tips. I think the writing may be on the wall spelling out a sunset to this time of plenty.

I think that holds even if McC does stay in business, but especially so if they close up shop.

The guy who is in charge of the pipe part of the smoke shop just told us the rep confirmed this today.

Summer's over............

"We are contacting you regarding your order for McClelland pipe tobacco. The manufacturer has reported that a recent crop needed for a number of their blends was not up to their standards. Until they have a new crop that meets their expectations and prepare it, they will not be producing or taking orders for the affected blends.

As such, backorders for the following McClelland products cannot be filled, and any that have stock left will not be replenished in the foreseeable future:

East Carolina Ribbon
Club Old Dog
Blakeney’s Bayou Slice
Tudor Castle
Avenue AM
Avenue McRaspberry
Avenue Blend Nutty Hazel
Avenue Blend TG-3
No. 5100 Red Cake
No. 5110 Dark English
M27 Three Cherries
M55 Georgian Cream
M58 Apricot Brandy
M95 Dark Cherry Cordial
No. 2015 Virginia Flake
No. 2030 No. 1 Grade Balkan
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 400 Crème Caramel
Three Oaks Original
Legends
Mellow Mack
Cigar Blends Dominican Glory
Balkan Beauty
Grand Orientals – Yenice Agonya
St. James Woods"

This is a quote....... Other blends may not be affected. Saw that 40th Anni is back in stock at Smokingpipes.

Been following this closely and I really hope that their calling it quits is just a rumor. I love McClelland tobacco, by far and away one of my favorite blending houses.

Fight'n Hampsters":i3gsn5sm said:
I have said before that I think the 2000's were the golden age of pipe tobacco, particularly when it comes to variety and depth of quality and choice. I don't think there has been a time when it has been so easy to get blends from overseas and also have so many great domestic blends at our virtual finger tips.
can't agree with this. The 70s and 80s were so bountiful that it was sickening. Blends at their pinnacle. Tins galore. Inexpensive. It was overwhelming in the finest of ways.

Zeno Marx":1p1qap9a said:
can't agree with this.  The 70s and 80s were so bountiful that it was sickening.  Blends at their pinnacle.  Tins galore.  Inexpensive.  It was overwhelming in the finest of ways.
This leaves me feeling left out... back to the time machine drawing board...

I really hope this is a rumor.
Zach

Ozark Wizard":hhigv69p said:

"We are contacting you regarding your order for McClelland pipe tobacco. The manufacturer has reported that a recent crop needed for a number of their blends was not up to their standards. Until they have a new crop that meets their expectations and prepare it, they will not be producing or taking orders for the affected blends.

As such, backorders for the following McClelland products cannot be filled, and any that have stock left will not be replenished in the foreseeable future:

East Carolina Ribbon
Club Old Dog
Blakeney’s Bayou Slice
Tudor Castle
Avenue AM
Avenue McRaspberry
Avenue Blend Nutty Hazel
Avenue Blend TG-3
No. 5100 Red Cake
No. 5110 Dark English
M27 Three Cherries
M55 Georgian Cream
M58 Apricot Brandy
M95 Dark Cherry Cordial
No. 2015 Virginia Flake
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 400 Crème Caramel
Three Oaks Original
Legends
Mellow Mack
Balkan Beauty
St. James Woods"

This is a quote....... Other blends may not be affected. Saw that 40th Anni is back in stock at Smokingpipes.
Great info, OW.
There are some main blends in there, but overall, considering the number of blends they offer, it doesn't look like a show stopper?
Darn disappointing in some cases but they still have a lot than one can choose from.

Ozark Wizard":7affqhl4 said:

East Carolina Ribbon
Club Old Dog
Blakeney’s Bayou Slice
Tudor Castle
Avenue AM
Avenue McRaspberry
Avenue Blend Nutty Hazel
Avenue Blend TG-3
No. 5100 Red Cake
No. 5110 Dark English
M27 Three Cherries
M55 Georgian Cream
M58 Apricot Brandy
M95 Dark Cherry Cordial
No. 2015 Virginia Flake
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 400 Crème Caramel
Three Oaks Original
Legends
Mellow Mack
Balkan Beauty
St. James Woods"

Several of my go-to's are in that list. YIKES!

:monkey:

No Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":k347y8ws said:
Ozark Wizard":k347y8ws said:

East Carolina Ribbon
Club Old Dog
Blakeney’s Bayou Slice
Tudor Castle
Avenue AM
Avenue McRaspberry
Avenue Blend Nutty Hazel
Avenue Blend TG-3
No. 5100 Red Cake
No. 5110 Dark English
M27 Three Cherries
M55 Georgian Cream
M58 Apricot Brandy
M95 Dark Cherry Cordial
No. 2015 Virginia Flake
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 400 Crème Caramel
Three Oaks Original
Legends
Mellow Mack
Balkan Beauty
St. James Woods"

Several of my go-to's are in that list. YIKES!

:monkey:

No Cheers,

RR

Certainly a lot of blends right there that I'd hate to see go, but like someone said in the middle of this thread, still lots to offer from McClelland, if indeed those are the only blends going... but something in the back of my head tells me it's not.

I hate seeing St. James Woods on that list, knew I should have been stocking up on that one.

Would appear we will await "until they have a new crop" to evaluate and prep!! I think I have enough 'baccy to hold me for a while!! :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

I recently retired from a career of 28 years owning my own businesses. It was time to sell and get the hell out of Dodge, sometimes you just know it is time.

So far no one has gone on record that Mc is closing shop but that list of tobacco is no joke.