McClelland Going Out of Business

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sad :cry:

I've been absent for some time...geesh, don't even want to check the date, but when I saw this I had to go somewhere and cry.

I wished I had a heads up. My rate of puffing has slowed considerably and I have enough to probably last me forever, but I surely would have stocked up on some more Dark Star and other tasty bits. I have some cellared, but to know they can't be replaced....and that I can never try anything new from them.

A sad day for any aficionado of finely crafted wares...

This sucks, McClelland was my hands down favorite in many blends.

Ugh....

I had resigned myself I wouldn't be able to get any more M-95, so went another direction. Damn. I think I prefer that to any other aro I smoke these days. Think I have one 100 gram jar left, and no funds until the first of April. Seems like everything I used to do myself I have to pay others to do these days! Stupid spine.....

McClellands will be sorely missed. I have some in the cellar, but certainly not as much as I would like.

A sad for all pipe smokers when a blender like this goes out of business. I sincerely hope they enjoy retirement, well deserved after all those years of hard work.

I'd say that McClelland's blends weren't always my favorites but they had a unique flavor that I actually crave sometimes. My favorite blend, that I tried, was the 40th anniversary blend. It has just the right amount of the McClelland signature red Virginia flavor for my tastes. I was lucky enough to snag 10 tins before it disappeared from the shelves. I guess that will have to be enough to last.

Popped a tin of No. 24 to celebrate Mary and Mike's retirement and mourn the loss of McClelland, it's my oldest tin, from 1979. It was an intense aroma on opening the tin, stewed prunes, apples and apricots with a touch of acetic acid. It is a yummy smoke too, very mellow McC VA that gets toastier and toastier as the bowl progresses with a touch of what seems to be orientals. It's also the strongest McClelland baccy I've had nic wise, I had to put the pipe down three times due to headspins and I'm not a nicotine lightweight. 

Conflicted cheers

Tim

A '79 24? Certainly something special. Not too often a nearly-40 year old tin is popped.

That looks luscious! The 24 is made with a little drama, right? Have a single tin of it squirreled away but it'll be a long time before it's as old as yours--a reminder that good things come to those who wait!

I have a 6 yo 100g tin of 24 and 27 ea. in my 'baccy box in my closet. Thought I'd give 'em both 10 years but with the demise of McC I might open 'em sooner !! :twisted:

Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on? Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc. it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?

BriarFox said:
Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on?  Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc.  it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?[/quote

C&D is NOT McClelland's and NEVER COULD BE !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ic06boue said:
BriarFox":ic06boue said:
Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on?  Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc.  it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?[/quote

I just used that as an example, I could have used Peterson, Dan, etc. I would think manufacturers would be interested in some of McClellands blends.

monbla256":b8byb6ov said:
BriarFox":b8byb6ov said:

Maybe not, but a lot of their blends make me happy. And, maybe Russ O will make a bunch of matches  :bounce:

A 1979 tin? Must be lovely! Treasure those smokes buddy! Congratulations! :cheers:

BriarFox":lmivmtyq said:
Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on?  Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc.  it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?
The issue as I understand it, is that McC cannot source the same kind of leaf they have been using due to growers not growing it. So any substitute will make a significantly different blend.

And as McC are known for this consistency it would be a different tasting animal. Maybe subtle, maybe significant.

Cheers,

RR

It is indeed something special. I am savouring these bowls slowly, have now jarred it up and will have the occasional bowl, hopefully it will last me a few years yet. If any brothers or sisters end up in Sydney in the next while, get in touch and we'll have a pipeful together.

Cheers

Tim

Wonder what's goin' to happen to the McCranie's blends?? :cheers: FTRPLT

Never mind!! Just answered my own question! The Red Flake and Red Ribbon are OOS!!! I do wonder if the boys will find someone else to blend these two!?!? :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":gznywpwf said:
Wonder what's goin' to happen to the McCrainie's blends?? :cheers: FTRPLT
Unless they find the same source of leaf McC was using and decide to get the tinning eqpt. that McC used, as well as the recipes of the blends they made for them will go away I'm sure !!

Yah well, say goodbye to mcCranies, Butera, Nording, Peretti's Scottish Flake, etc.... :no: