McClelland No. 22 Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobostro61

Reaction score
Just bought my first tin along with Peterson University Flake. Gotta say (IMOP), the McClelland is MUCH better.

Remember, Peterson for pipes, McClelland for 'bac :twisted: :twisted:

If you are deciding between tobaccos and one choice is McClelland, always choose the McClelland. You won't be disappointed. JMHO
AJ

Sweet! More university flake for me! Haven't tried the 22 yet but I have a few hundred ozs of 27 dating back to the late 90s and early 2000s. Good stuff.

UF is heavily topped/cased, but it is the only such tobacco I smoke except for 1792, which with its musty, dry-floral notes is one of my very favorites.

I haven't tried either. In the McClelland Matured series, 24 is really nice. I had a tin of UF but packaged it in a bomb a few months ago.

Jeb, what specifically do you like about UF?

DrumsAndBeer":8msd9hg1 said:
I haven't tried either. In the McClelland Matured series, 24 is really nice. I had a tin of UF but packaged it in a bomb a few months ago.

Jeb, what specifically do you like about UF?
I like the topping. It's a nice sweet plum that mixes with the great Virginia burley base and is pretty sweet, but balanced. It's a sweet tooth thing, kinda like FVF you know? Has always delivered a consistently good smoke. I have a tin from the late 90s I'm about to open, probably when I get back from Colorado. I'm honestly not sure why I like it, I'll smoke a bowl and report back because the description from my memory sounds gross.

okay smoked a bowl this morning while walking the mutt. i do really like this tobacco, and it's because of the topping. i don't really smoke aromatics at all these days. this one is the exception. to me it's a really high quality VaBur with a plum casing. the plum casing comes through in the smoke. it's sweet, and mixes with the sweet VA and the nutty/chickory burley exceptionally well. to me this is what pipe smoking was in my head when i first tried a pipe with some aromatics. maybe not for everyone, but i bet i'll smoke this the rest of my life. Chris, it's a shame i missed you at Edwards, i could have sampled you out on some!

ajn27511":swj109d3 said:
If you are deciding between tobaccos and one choice is McClelland, always choose the McClelland. You won't be disappointed. JMHO
AJ
There are two Peterson blends I do like.  Sweet Kilarney and Sunset Breeze.  Still experimenting with tobaccos here.  I spend more time making pipes than smoking them.  Go figure...  Of the couple McClellands I do have, they are the better.  Davidoff Red is another one of my fav's.  Guess I like the sweeter ones.  Having only been smoking a pipe for a year or so now, I have a TON to learn about the different blends.  There's so many to choose from it gets overwhelming trying to figure out what to try.  I pretty much flip a coin and hope for the best. That #22 is the bomb though.

somedumbjerk":6r5zevoj said:
Chris, it's a shame i missed you at Edwards, i could have sampled you out on some!
I'll have to give UF a try.

Jeb, I'll give you a jingle the next time I plan on stopping by Edwards. Since my mom passed, I have been down that way a bit more lately.