McClelland Stave Aged Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
I was looking forward to try this new series from McClelland, i.e., the new blends with a piece of cask in the tin. They come with a little cube of charred white oak that is supposed to come from a barrel used to age Bourbon. I read tobaccoreviews.com with anticipation. Unfortunately, my experience has been completely different from the reviews there: there is an overpowering flavor from the oak with no sweetness or taste of Bourbon. There is only the faintest flavor of the Virginias in the background. Even a couple of weeks after removing the oak cube from the tin, the flavor is predominantly oak with almost no tobacco taste. I must say that I don't like it at all (but could be great in barbecue). Do I have a defective tin? Did any of you have the same experience? Am I the oddball out?

I didn't pick up on anything added by the wood. I found the Stave Aged to be very very bland. I got an initial hit of whatever flavoring they added, but that burned off quickly and then just nothingness. I was very disappointed in both of these.

Of course your an oddball,, :D ,,,,,but your take on Stave Aged mirrored my own. I was hoping the VA would shine and the stave would add a twist to the blend, but it was flat and forgettable in my book. A unique and ingenious concept that didn't pull through.

Yeah, after hearing some of the brothers' take on it, I've opted to let my tin get a few years on it before cracking that sucker, in the hope that does...something!