McClelland Tudor Castle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Hello BoB,

As stated in a previous post I'm pretty much addicted to Black Cavendish particularly to those with a strong vanilla flavor. Here lately I don't seem to be as satisfied at the end of a bowl as I have been in the past. I finish a bowl and sometimes have to have another bowl full to satisfy the craving. I decided that I would look for another type of tobacco to see if I could find one that would fulfill my craving in one bowl.

A family member who has been smoking a pipe for over forty years suggested that I try one of the McClelland varieties. I spent some time reading McClelland's description for each of their products plus any reviews and ratings I could find. The description of McClelland Tudor Castle intrigued me mainly because it was described as being "very sugary". My attraction to Black Cavendish is due to its sweetness. So I ordered a tin of the Tudor Castle.

Tudor Castle has a small amount of perique added to the bright yellow Virginia, No. 1 Grade Yenidje, and red Virginia.

When it arrived I could hardly wait to try it. However, when I opened the tin and got a nose full of perique I was tempted to toss that putrid fowl smelling mess in the trash. But common sense prevailed and I forced myself to load a basket pipe that I use for trying new varieties. I was very pleasantly surprised at the exquisite sweetness, and in my opinion, a very nice rooms note. Not an opinion shared by my wife. In fact she has threatened to surgically remove my liver if I continue to smoke this "Horse manure" in a room that she may pass through during the course of any week in the future. We will see how this plays out and I'll keep the brothers informed of any interesting developments.

I've been holding my Savinelli Trevi 607 in reserve until I came across a new varity that I would deem good enough to dedicate this pipe. IMHO McClelland Tudor Castle and my Savinelli 607 are a perfect match. Not only does it smoke sweet, cool,and dry it smokes without biting and it satisfies whatever craving I was experiencing.

This will be smoked on special occasion or whenever I feel the urge. This tobacco has a special touch that I cannot find words that do justice to its greatness. Anyway I ordered three more tins. I would be somewhat disappointed to find I was out whenever I decided that having my liver surgically removed might prove interesting when all involved discover what I'm going to be doing while the procedure is attempted. I'm sure it will make a good story, one my grandchildren will find amusing and want to hear it repeated time and again.

I highly recommend this to those that like a very sweet Virginia with a touch of Saint James Perique. A little pricy but worth every dime IMHO.

A good review of one of my favourite VaPers; if you can get your hands on some in the three to five year age range, it is simply divine.

Might I recommend you check out Blakney's Best Baked Bayou Slice and Orient 996 (both by McClelland). The BBB blend offers a touch more red Virginia (and no Yendje), making for a surprisingly sweet smoke; while the Orient 996 is very similar to TC (although slightly sweeter, with a large helping of Drama), but offering a touch of Syrian Lat. instread of Perique.

Greetings Schmitzbitz,

Thanks for the response and the recommendation. The BBB description has stirred my interest. I will be giving it a try ASAP. The oriental you suggested is one I'm afraid I'll have to let pass. You mentioned it has a bit of Latakia. Latakia is one of my least favorite tastes that I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

I do really appreciate you taking the time to suggest that I try these tobaccos. If you happen to have enjoyed any other fine and very sweet blends I would be interested in knowing about them.

Two blends/mixtures come to mind for "sweet" as well as nice room note. The first is Peretti's Oxford Flake, a nice smooth, full straight Virginia in a broken flake form which has that natural sweetness one finds in almost all straight Va's. Next would be McClellands Matured Virginia #27, again a broken flake and almost the same as Oxford, just a bit sweeter and nicer room note ( I've been told by non-smokers as I would not know, I think Latakia smells fantastic :p ) . I would call these "natural aromatics" as they don't have any flavorings, just the natural sweetness of quality Virginias
I highly recomend both.

ajn27511":ztojh8lm said:
Latakia is one of my least favorite tastes that I have ever had the misfortune to experience.
This made me laugh uproariously for some reason; my business partner is looking at me like I'm insane. I can certainly appreciate your mislike of Latakia (although I fall at the other end of the spectrum, as an admitted Latakiaphile), not everyone enjoys a tall glass of camphor whilst watching a tire fire in a peat-bog.

Have you tried PS Luxury Bullseye Flake? A nice bright (lemon) Virginia base with a touch of Perique, featuring a black-Cavindesh core.
Another favourite blend that may meet your criteria is Scotty's Old Red, a straight Virigina which highlights the almost candied-fruit notes of Red varietals.

Hello monbia256,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read a few reviews of the McClelland # 27. It seems as though it might prove quite enjoyable. I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. I opted for the McClellend because you said it was the sweeter of the two. I'm all about a sweet sugary smoke.

Anyone who will take time to respond to any of my posts has my gratitude. Thanks.

Greetings again Schmitzbitz,

It's really good to know that I can still bring enormous joy and amusement into the lives of those with whom I have contact despite my advanced age. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the business partner. In another fifty years there will be hardly anyone who will remember his name... or mine for that matter.

I must admit that your description of Latakia was spot on IMHO. Someone that has had the same experience as me must have briefed you as to its more subtle characteristics.

Your two suggestions have peaked my interest and I have added them to my list of new tobaccos to try. Thanks for the tip and response.

I had the tin in my hand this very afternoon. Was about to pull the trigger when I went with a Frog Morton and a Dunhill Flake instead. I'll be going back tomorrow and picking up a tin of this now.

My problems seems to be that I love both Aro's and English blends. Makes shopping real hard. Also have a love for straight Virginia's. So many tobacco's, so little time :roll:

Please feel free to check out my cellar at tobaccocellar.com Username Joeluka I'm always down for a trade or two.

Joe

A couple more blends that might be of interest to you.

On the VaPer (with a twist) front, I very highly recommend the new New York Pipe Club / Habana Premium Cigar Co. (Pipes&Cigars) Bedlow Island blend. A wonderfully bright Virginia blend, tamed with a pinch of Perique, Russ Oulette and the folk at the NYPC really out-did themselves on this one with the addition of a delicate mixture of Orientals. I was lucky enough to get a sample of all four blends prior to the debut at Chicago, and I was immediately hooked on both this and the Hell's Kitchen Balkan Blend.

I've also delved into a wayward tin of Benjamin Hartwell Signature Blend that's been sitting in the back of my closet collecting dust for the past year. Much to my surprise, this blend isn't like anything else I've tried from Altadis - a broken flake, pungent with the vinegar-like aroma that connotes heavily steamed and stoved Va's (and is normally associated with McClelland), this exquisitely balanced blend is simply wonderful. The flavour profile combines sweet reds and bright lemons; with the stinky dark-fired reds providing some depth and complexity.

Anybody here ever try the Tudor Castle Arcade ? I got six tins a few years ago because the description (& the reputation of the previous incarnation) sounded so good. Smoked one fresh (puzzling), gave one or two to friends & still have the rest.

Opinions / impressions ?

:face:

MM, I love Tudor castle and Tudor castle arcade!! Both are rather delicious. I highly recommend Arcade because the Syrian is just a touch. Overall I think it tastes like some kind of exotic chocolate.

Thank you, VF.

There are people whose perspicacity I value who suspect the "touch" of it McC uses is more for the sake of being able to say there's some of it "in there" than for the sake of it being perceptible when it's smoked. Interesting to run into a disagreement on that point.

:face:

I detect more in the smell than the taster but its in there. Maybe 2the or 3the percent?

Of course I have only been smoking the PCCA version not the McClelland labeled tins. I heard that they were formulated with a slight variance. Dont know if thats true but it wasnt meant to be a Syrian powerhouse. Just a touch, just a touch. Which was achieved:).

I love Tudor Castle! I'm currently smoking through a tin of Arcade and to my tastes it isn't nearly as good. Still a good smoke, but where I hope to always have some TC in my closet, TCA just doesn't sing for me as much and I probably won't buy more unless things change as I finish this tin. It is definitely of high quality, but a little "off" to my tastes - I'd recommend trying it to anyone that hasn't anyway.

Not as old as I could have dug, but enough.......

Got a tin of this from 2012. Had been playing with Pepplecut the last few days, and was told it was similar.

No. Much, much better! This is some divine stuff. Just don't take a big sniff when you first open it......

Yup, gonna have to get some for the stash.....

DAMN YOU MCCLELLANDS!!!!!!

Thanks AJ!

Ozark Wizard":de039mc7 said:
Not as old as I could have dug, but enough.......

Got a tin of this from 2012. Had been playing with Pepplecut the last few days, and was told it was similar.

No. Much, much better! This is some divine stuff. Just don't take a big sniff when you first open it......

Yup, gonna have to get some for the stash.....

DAMN YOU MCCLELLANDS!!!!!!

Thanks AJ!
It was my pleasure and I'm glad you like it. You should order a dozen tins or so so you can put some in your cellar. :)

AJ