McClelland Virginia in the Closet

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
In the back of a closet I found a partially full mason jar of McClelland’s VA No. 27, according to my label it was from a 2006 tin and I put it in the jar in 2010. This is what a straight Virginia should taste like, it’s almost silky. And sweet! What a surprise to find this. It’s too bad when this jar’s gone it’s gone for good. At least I have some tins of Christmas Cheer and one of No. 24 (with Drama!).

I remember not being particularly excited about McClelland Virginias in 2006, or even in 2010, which is why this ended up in the back of the closet. Pretty delicious now, funny how tastes change.

McClelland's virginias are just so different and maybe that's why I was always drawn to them. From the red flakes that they tinned for McCranie's or in the annual Christmas Cheers...to the black stoved flakes ala Dark Star. Just so unique and will be missed when gone for good.

Yummy stuff for sure. Got a pound of 2035 awaiting me at some future stage that I jarred in 2015, will leave that one a bit longer though. Hey if I leave it till 2035 to smoke it, I may even be able to get it to light as it seems to contain asbestos. :lol:

Cheers

Tim

monbla256":1iweppct said:
As everyone knows, it was the ketchup! :twisted: :twisted:
Speaking of that, now that they’ve closed the doors and there are no trade secrets to protect could they reveal to us what exactly that ketchup topping was?

Edit: After a little searching I answered my own question, not a topping but just the natural smell of fermenting red VA. You learn something every day!

Indeed McClelland VA were unique, glad I never threw that jar out years ago when I couldn’t fully appreciate the blend.

I’ve got a tin of the original Ashton Brindle Flake dated from 2003 I found buried on a shelf in a B&M about 10 years ago, looking forward to opening that one up some day when the mood strikes!

I've said it here before, but I'll say it again; NOBODY does Virginias like McClellands. Every bit of variety in their flakes, ribbons and other cuts, all superlative. The very best. I've got a pretty good stash, but in the long run, is it really enough? The answer is, of course, not nearly enough.