McClelland Virginia Woods

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
This is a tin with very little age on it - maybe six months.

Tin note has the typical fermented/acetic smell so common with Virginias and especially with McClelland. A sweet, sharp tobacco, like Red Rapparee oddly enough, but without the oriental depths.

The cut is eccentric, ribbons, chunks, whatever. Colors range from bright golden leaf to black.

It feels kind of wet in the tin, and doesn't dry much on a plate, so I suspect a bit of PG.

I took a good pinch of this and made a wad, rammed it air-pocket style into a danish egg. Lit easily and burned easily right to the heel.

The initial tin note stays present all the way - you can always detect a kind of sweet acidic note. It's not unpleasant at all. If there is a topping, it's really subtle - maybe just a sprinkle of sugar. Reminiscent of many Mac Baren offerings, actually - Mixture, Dark Twist, Virginia No 1, and especially HH Mature Va.

Virginia woods is a much easier smoke than any Mac B though - I hauled on this like a madman and was unable to generate any bite or even any heat on the bowl, and it's a brand new pipe. This stuff is easy easy smoking.

So there's a red virginia taste, a sugary topping that is enough to leave the stem of the pipe tasting sweet, and an earthier "woodsier" note as well - like a Kentucky or something. I'm not sure. But it's good, and it's what makes the blend a bit different than so many reds, like Scottish Flake, for example. If you told me there was a bit of perique in this, I would not be surprised at all. There is something very like it, at any rate, and used in a sparing way to generate some depth of flavor.

It changes very little from top to bottom. Just a pleasant, sweet, rich smoke. Nictotene is present in small quantity - I knew I had smoked a big pipe, but it didn't leave me rocked by any means. A nic-hungry smoker won't be satisfied with this. Right at the end it gets vaguely cigar-like, which is the culmination of the "woodsiness" I guess.

All in all, I really like it. It's a style of tobacco I enjoy, and the range of flavors is both unusual and enjoyable. The fact that I couldn't heat up the pipe and experienced no bite at all puts this tobacco ahead of a few of my standard Virginia pseudo-aromatics.

I have smoked this tobacco several tins worth over the years
but I never went back to it.I agree with your review,the blend
just didn't ring a bell for me.

Winslow :sunny:

Great review, squatch. It's reviews like this that trigger my TAD syndrome. Dang.

This one would probably please you, Ed. Not very kicky, and very well behaved in the pipe.

Sasquatch":s0gsu421 said:
This one would probably please you, Ed. Not very kicky, and very well behaved in the pipe.
Thanks, Todd. It'll be next in my TAD list.

Oh by the way Todd, well done on the review. I just opened a can of Blackwoods Flake and I am having a devil of a time getting any real enjoyment out of it. It's o.k. but was looking to get bowled over by this blend due to the endless glowing reviews. I'm having a Dickens of a time with Flakes. I don't seem to get along with them. Maybe I am incapable of enjoying the subtleties and nuances. I have tried everything. Just stuffing it in, rubbing it out . Big pipes, small pipes. Drying it out. Nothing seems to work. The can is over 1 year old. So I don't suspect that it needs more time. Maybe it is just not meant to be.

Jack, I don't really get much out of "straight" virginias either. They taste okay, but I get bored with them. Like, Best Brown Flake is a good example. It's delicious, but after 20 minutes I'm just kind of done with it. Same with many many others. Need some other stuff in there.

I really like this kind of tobacco (enhanced virginia?). Dark Twist and Club Blend are both this way too. Mock-aromatics or something.

The "serious" va/pers are too much for me. I got a tin of Heinrich's curly and it's so strong it just blows me away. Can't finish a bowl. Heavy and woody. And everyone else talks about this faint almond casing, and a pastry-like taste. WTF? I'm lost. My little-girl palate can't take it!

I will finish the tin of Va Woods, but I'd probably rather smoke Navy Flake than VW for the rest of my life.

I think my next tin will be Gawith's Navy Flake.... looks pretty interesting. Plumcake without the bite, we hope....