McClellands Arcadia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was discussing that with someone at the local B&M lounge today. He swore by it as being his favorite tobacco. However, I find it to be too pricey to justify trying it out.

I wouldn't say it is my "favorite" English blend but I would put it in my top ten. It burns down to a very nice white ash and has a mellow yet kind of rich English blend taste IMHO. Most of the tins in my cellar have at least two years age on them, if not longer.

Pricey as compared to what?
At the etailers I use it is in line with the other premium blends price wise.

Arcadia is a delightful shag cut Oriental forward blend. It is a very good blend to see what Orientals taste like sans Latakia. It arrives at the perfect smoking moisture (for me) and burns well if packed on the loose side. Smoke SLOW, and you will enjoy.

puros_bran":q2eodhc4 said:
Pricey as compared to what?
At the etailers I use it is in line with the other premium blends price wise.
At the local B&M, which is not known for great prices anyway, a small tin costs as much as the 100 gm tins of other premiums.

At my 'local' B&M its about the same as a C&D tin.

That's odd man. I would think your guys gouging on the price instead of my guys undercutting because the internet prices aren't that out of sink, but who knows.

I recently traded for 22 tins to cellar, so obviously I like it. It's a smooth, easy oriental, very tasty in a short, wide bowl at sunrise. I also find if I mix it one part to four parts Old Gawrie and jar it for a year or so, it's right up there with Dunnhill's Morning Pipe and taste's quite similar.

Natch

The tin aroma is to die for!Open the tin and take a long wiff,it's heavenly.
Rattrays Red Rapparee has a similar intoxicating aroma.

Winslow

Good stuff!
With age, this blend develops complexity and depth. I have a few tins cellared for long term ageing.

I like Arcadia, especially for my smaller bowled pipes. My sister even likes the aroma (outside, of course!). I have several tins aging for future consumption! FTRPLT

I also really like Arcadia. I rate it an A- smoke. For those who enjoy the spicy pungent oriental blends.

TC

As I search for non-heavy-Latakia Orientals (without too much luck I might add) I have scored a few tins over the past months off of eBay. These were 5 years old and I got them each for $10-$14 + shipping. I considered it a decent deal for a slightly aged, very nice blend.

Too bad I couldn't keep myself from puffing them into nothingness :face:

I have smoked the blend, but don't remember anything about it. I went to my notes and this is what I wrote about it in January 2003: an uninteresting blend of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos. It tastes like a “standard” McClelland tobacco, with the typical ketch-up note to it. Don't take this as a review of the blend. My notes are simply used to remind me if a liked a blend or not, and if I should buy it again. For reference, my favorite McC blends are Blackwoods Flake and 2025.