McClelland's Deep Hollow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draagha

Reaction score
Well I'm finally on bowl number three of this stuff after receiving it earlier today.

I've smoked this only in my new dublin which has a tall, narrow bowl which works best for me when it comes to VA and light aros.

The smoke is a nice white with touches of grey, it stays very cool no matter how hard I puff and the sweetness can be tasted whether I sip or chug. When I sip it, I taste cinnamon or something like it. Almost a french toast with vanilla added to it. The room note is pleasant and no one in the house has complained about it. The tin note has the McKetchup smell with a hint of vanilla on the back end.

The flavor stays pretty consistent throughout the bowl, with a slight spice flavor added towards the back end. My french inhales are smooth and definitely intensify the flavors for me.

I can definitely say this would be good for someone who likes a light aro in their mix or an aro smoker looking for a more pure baccy experience.
I will also definitely be picking up many more tins of it when I get the chance.

Thanks for the post! I've been wanting to pick this up for when I'm around other humans this Autumn. They don't dig the Lat or dark-fired stuff.

What's the nicotine level? Noticeable at all?

That's a nice one for sure. The "McKetchup" tin note you describe is what good fermented Red Va's give off and this blend is a nice predominately Red Va one. Good choice ! :twisted: 

thanks for the info i am a big fan of most of mcclenllands blends myself my favorite o far being three cherry

Hereward":fg0r9b8e said:
Thanks for the post! I've been wanting to pick this up for when I'm around other humans this Autumn. They don't dig the Lat or dark-fired stuff.

What's the nicotine level? Noticeable at all?
It's noticeable, at the end of the bowl you'll feel it for sure. Definitely not as strong as an english though :lol:

They would have no complaints about the smell either.

whitepony1986":pgj1q2ix said:
thanks for the info i am a big fan of most of mcclenllands blends myself my favorite o far being three cherry
THis and Captain Cool have been my only experience with their aros but they are pretty good. I didn't dig the mint too much though.

If you like their aro's I'm sure you'd dig DH.

Haven't ever smoked this blend but a Red Va. is a great smoke and none of the many McClelland Reds that I have smoked have ever been a disappointment. Good review and thanks for sharing. :) 

AJ

Yes, it is stoved red and black virginias. I think with a bit of topping as well, maybe casing? Either way it's tasty and not overbearing in the slightest.

Draagha":uk759z13 said:
Yes, it is stoved red and black virginias. I think with a bit of topping as well, maybe casing? Either way it's tasty and not overbearing in the slightest.
BTW, ALL tobaccos are cased, it's a standard practice to prepare them to be able to be smoked as pipe blends or cig tobac. Greg Pease has covered this in several post in the past. As for a TOPPING (or flavoring) this is another thing. Some say this blend does have a topping, some say it doesn't, but the overall sweetness and flavor you will get from this blend will be from the Red Va's Mcc's uses in it ( and for the "true believers" the "ketchup" they use :twisted::twisted: )

monbla256":vr5vamqt said:
Draagha":vr5vamqt said:
BTW, ALL tobaccos are cased, it's a standard practice to prepare them to be able to be smoked as pipe blends or cig tobac. Greg Pease has covered this in several post in the past. As for a TOPPING (or flavoring) this is another thing. Some say this blend does have a topping, some say it doesn't, but the overall sweetness and flavor you will get from this blend will be from the Red Va's Mcc's uses in it ( and for the "true believers" the "ketchup" they use :twisted::twisted: )
I agree with everything except the red va's part. I smoked louisiana red after and it was no where near as sweet. Definitely some sort vanilla sweetener topping.

Draagha":4nqghpl1 said:
monbla256":4nqghpl1 said:
Draagha":4nqghpl1 said:
I agree with everything except the red va's part. I smoked louisiana red after and it was no where near as sweet. Definitely some sort vanilla sweetener topping.
In my years of pipe smoking ( and family farming of Va's) I'm not familiar with a variety of Va refered to as "Louisiana Red". Is this some .bac you get locally in a blend/mixture? I'm familiar with Louisiana Perique but it's not made with Va's as it's base. Enlighten us, please.

Hearth & Home Louisiana Red. It's one of the other blends I picked up to try more red VA. Sorry for short responses, I'm having to use my phone to reply.

Draagha":ngdl9bcp said:
Hearth & Home Louisiana Red. It's one of the other blends I picked up to try more red VA. Sorry for short responses, I'm having to use my phone to reply.
Sounds like an in house topping on that one. If you want to get an idea of how sweet aged Red Va's are, try some of McC's Fragrant Matured 2000 which is just a broken flake made up of pressed and stoved Red Virginia's. Desert in a pipe !! :twisted:

monbla256":d1599c5o said:
Draagha":d1599c5o said:
Sounds like an in house topping on that one. If you want to get an idea of how sweet aged Red Va's are, try some of McC's Fragrant Matured 2000 which is just a broken flake made up of pressed and stoved Red Virginia's. Desert in a pipe !! :twisted:
Sounds good, I'll be trying some when I havw the cash to stock up again.

I have a couple tins of this from late '90s early 2000s. I'll have to bust one out when I'm feeling a lighter smoke. Been a bit obsessed with the gawith shag. Also trying to work through all the samples a got bombed with! Great review, thanks for posting

I find that DeepHollow kind of has the same treatment to VA what McClellend was doing to the Frog's! I like the stuff!

Another "pure" red virginia (some would argue the epitome of the genre) is McCranie's Red Ribbon.

Recommended to anyone who wants to experience the nuances of fine red virginia tobacco without added flavoring(s).