McClelland's "Grand Orientals?"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Anyone ever try any of McClelland's new "Grand Orientals"? Any impressions?

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Interesting. A bit mild to suit me.

But I have to wonder if I dedicated a pipe to the blends, and smoked only one blend at a time, how much better they really might be. Oh, I do think they are good.

Carlos,

Do they have the typical McClelland's high moisture content with the ketchup/vinegar aroma?

Justpipes":itfgo0z5 said:
Carlos,

Do they have the typical McClelland's high moisture content with the ketchup/vinegar aroma?

Of the four I have, they were at a nice moisture level. Easily dried if necessary. The vinegar scent is very light. To my nose and taster, what I smelled didn't translate into the smoke. The one with the cigar like flavor smelled sweet to me. With an interesting toasty smell, I suppose. It' didn't taste very sweet at all and the cigar-like taste was wonderful.

I wonder how much the choice of Virginia's used affects the blend.

I picked up a tin of Yenidje Supreme and have smoked a few bowls in various pipes with varying results. In the pipe it smoked best in it was incredible. It is really mild, but there is a lot of complexity to the blend. I'd agree with Carlos that you probably would need to dedicate a pipe due to the subtleties of the blend, but once you found that sweet spot I think it would be a great blend.

Just tried the 'Drama' -- the taste and N might be just on the mild side for a lot of this crowd, but right up my alley. Tasty, tangy, and the olive oil afternotes were pleasing

I have only tried Classic Samsun and it is on my regular rotation as a favorite. I do intend to try the rest eventually. Thus far: sublime.

Being a McC Oriental fan, Oriental #14 and the CPCC Scottish Woods are my two main smokes, I picked up a tin of the Smyrna #1 before Thanksgiving and actually finished it in the first Charatan I bought back in '69, a nice blasted Canadian last night. Have to remember to get MORE ! I like the spice that Orientals bring to a blend and with the base of nice smooth, sweet Virginias in this blend, the Smyrna leaf puts the "spice" to the blend. It is a cool, smooth smoke and can bite if rushed (as most good Virginias can) so take your time and sip it. Finishes with a nice white/grey ash in the bottom of your pipe and if allowed to dry a bit BEFORE lighting, smokes dry and cool. As far as it's "N" value, if I really want a nicotine hit, I go buy a pack of un-filtered Camels or Pall-Malls and smoke 'em :) I'm going to get some more and try some of the other blends in this line for sure ! I would RECOMEND it :)