McConnell's Scottish Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
I have become a bit obsessed with this tobacco lately...

It isn't a surprise to me given that I have been enjoying this tobacco regularly for at least six months but recently it's been almost the only blend that I want to smoke...

In the past six months I've smoked something like 6 tins which isn't all that much until you factor in all the other various favorite and experimental blends I also went through. Of the tins that I've smoked a few were "fresh" and a few were 7+ years old.

A few weeks back I needed to go through my stash and pick a tin to crack open for the purpose of breaking in my new Ashton Pebble Grain billiard that was a Xmas gift from my better half (This is the 2nd time she has picked out a PERFECT pipe for me). I ended up opening a tin of Scottish Flake from December of 2004

This was the third or fourth tin of Scottish Flake from the same estate and just like the other 7+ year-old tins, when the seal was broken I was treated to the finest rich VA tobacco smell. I loaded the inaugural bowl and let me tell you it was possibly the most flavorful and most satisfying smoke I've had in the past 6 years. The Ashton was a fantastic smoker from the first bowl but I'll leave the details for another thread

Scottish Flake is sweet, medium-full flavored, not "complex" but certainly interesting and has such a wonderful aroma while smoking. I also find the room note to be pleasant and the Roommates/Loved ones seem to agree.

I'm not sure what my point is here other than "I LOVE SCOTTISH FLAKE"

I was just wondering what the other Brothers think of this blend. And also, various sources list different components... Some places say its just Red Va slices and others say it has Perique and other places list KY and Turkish... Can anyone clarify? I suppose it Doesn't really matter because I know whatever is in there, I like it! It could possibly have Perique but in small amounts I get the same effect from KY as the stewed leaf. And if there is Turkish (I'm pretty sure there is) then Red VA/Turkish are a match made in heaven.

I just read both your post and then promptly started sifting through the descriptions/reviews of it... sounds right up my alley!

What I think is I'm going to add it to my list and push it to the front. 8)

I've never tried McConnell's blends before.

About a year ago somebody (never figured out WHO) sent me a tin with a couple years on it. I gobbled it at a high rate and quickly ordered more. Sweet and full describes it perfectly. They've tweaked it enough to to make it interesting but the flavor of the tobacco comes through and dominates. That's primarily what I look for now in blends,,,

Well worth a try in my book

yeah... great stuff. this is very underrated tobacco IMHO. you really don't hear alot of talk about it.

Yep this is a good one. I finished off a couple of tins not long ago. I used to buy it when McConnell's made and it is actually fairly close. The fruitiness is familiar. Kohlhase Kopp makes some very nice Virginias. I think the Wessex brand is made by them too and there are some excellent Va's in that brand too.

Rusty":orz5ukn7 said:
Yep this is a good one. I finished off a couple of tins not long ago. I used to buy it when McConnell's made and it is actually fairly close. The fruitiness is familiar. Kohlhase Kopp makes some very nice Virginias. I think the Wessex brand is made by them too and there are some excellent Va's in that brand too.
I'm with ya, Rusty. K&K make GREAT VA blends especially flakes... Not only the Wessex, but Astley's and Rattray's and Reiner as well! And let's not forget about Fribourg & Treyer

I've smoked two more bowls of Scottish flake today and I think I've discovered a blend that I need to focus on cellaring more than any other blend. Not only do I feel like I won't tire of it, I feel as if it calls to be smoked more than any other one blend in my stash. It could be a phase but I don't think so. I'm glad because I have never had ONE tobacco that I could see myself in a monogamous relationship with :p
Thank god I don't have to be faithful to one tobacco but if I was forced too then Scottish flake would make me a very happy man

Funnily enough I've been eying up a few tins of Scottish Flake to go in my next order. McConnell's is one of the cheaper brands here in the UK too.

McConnell is probably my favorite brand of pipe tobacco. There's nothing I don't like.

Kyle Weiss":uycbx5p2 said:
I just read both your post and then promptly started sifting through the descriptions/reviews of it... sounds right up my alley!

What I think is I'm going to add it to my list and push it to the front. 8)

I've never tried McConnell's blends before.
I think their Oriental is one of the best Orientals available today.

Natch

Amazingly I've never tried this one. May have to add a tin to my next order.

I thought you were settling into All Burley / Burley Flakes All the Time (except for the Lakeland stuff).

(?)

:face:

Wet Dottle":918m6fhl said:
McConnell is probably my favorite brand of pipe tobacco. There's nothing I don't like.
Well Scottish flake is shooting up to the top of my favorites list very quickly...

I've also tried Scottish cake, Folded flake and I have a tin of Oriental waiting to be opened... So far I'd have to agree that I like all of the McConnells blends I have tried... But what I'm really curious about is the Red Virginia Superb or whatever it is. Anyone care to elaborate on it's merits or lack thereof?

This stuff sounds great! So much baccy, so little time... and money...

Brewdude":1p6pss3t said:
Sure sounds like this is a gotta try for me, as well as the Scottish Cake, and the Oriental. And the Folded Flake......

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR
Brewdude,

I would honestly be surprised if you didn't like each of those blends a lot.

I'd wager that Scottish flake, and Folded flake --in that order--will be the biggest winners. :cheers:

Puff Daddy":yh1dmmpl said:
Amazingly I've never tried this one. May have to add a tin to my next order.
I'm pretty sure I let you try some of this stuff a few years ago.... but maybe not. Is your memory getting as bad as mine? Anyway, I think I'll put a tin of this up on deck to crack open next. It's been a while since I smoked any of it. I do remember that I liked the first tin I smoked. I guess that's why I have 5 more,,, two tins from 2007 and three from 2008. They should be ready to go by now, eh?

I'll save you a sample :afro: .

BTW, I see there are two of us tin men now. It's an epidemic :face:

;)

I've tried so many tobaccos over the years, there are certainly going to be some I forgot I tried. Guess that means I didn't care for it so much :lol: As long as I don't forget where I put my pipe I guess I'm OK.....