McC's new Red & Black

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Mandrake the Magician gestures hypnotically...)

This is the tobacco you've been looking for.

You are powerless to resist.

You will buy mass quantities soon and forever.

Now go on about your business.

Blackhorse":voqyb3md said:
(Mandrake the Magician gestures hypnotically...)

This is the tobacco you've been looking for.

You are powerless to resist.

You will buy mass quantities soon and forever.

Now go on about your business.
The Falk lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.

I've given up on McClelland a few years back because the nicotine content is too low for my liking.
But right now, all the comments are making me want to give this one a try.

It's not up to Dark Flake or the various twists, ropes, pigtails, etc. I usually pick a smaller bowled pipe when the yen for one of those strikes. Other than that I don't have enough of this under my belt to name equivalent blends. However I would think that since McClelland is the source of this blend that the level of nicotine here would be similar to other somewhat related McClellands. So I would first look at red and Stoved VA blends as being the very most likely to be similar. If those sorts of things didn't work for you in the past I would expect you to be disappointed with that aspect of this one.

I would just add (not being the spokesperson for R&B of course) that for me the level of nicotine was one of the last things I considered important. Of much greater consideration were the ease of use, the unique variability of self blending due to the separate red and black flakes (which is without precedent), the meld of the specific dark stoved and sweet red flavors, the burn performance, etc. In other words...cause it smokes so well and tastes so good!

If you need more Vit N...put on a patch.  :drunken:

Ok I'm sold. I need to try this R&B blend asap!

:cheers:

Blackhorse":gk354tcp said:
If you need more Vit N...put on a patch.  :drunken:
Or smoke some unfiltered Camels or Pall Malls :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: BTW, so far R&B is maintaining all 4 star ratings on TR!! :twisted: :twisted:

New twist: DGT.

I smoked 3/4 bowl in my Pete Deluxe Rosslare Classic X105 Apple and then put it down to take care of some laundry (oh the excitement I am privy to). Back after 30 min. to a cold bowl...relight...off and running. No loss of goodness. I even stirred the coals with a pick and relit...still smooth. What the heck IS this stuff anyway? Bravo!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The Pete X105 seems an excellent shape for this blend. Nice. New dedication decided upon.

Rare_Peterson_Deluxe_Rosslare_Sandblast_Black_and_Yellow_Amber_Stem_Fishtail_X105.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 400px

Blackhorse":zo2tbefp said:
New twist: DGT.

I smoked 3/4 bowl in my Pete Deluxe Rosslare Classic X105 Apple and then put it down to take care of some laundry (oh the excitement I am privy to). Back after 30 min. to a cold bowl...relight...off and running. No loss of goodness. I even stirred the coals with a pick and relit...still smooth. What the heck IS this stuff anyway? Bravo!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The Pete X105 seems an excellent shape for this blend. Nice. New dedication decided upon.

Rare_Peterson_Deluxe_Rosslare_Sandblast_Black_and_Yellow_Amber_Stem_Fishtail_X105.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 400px

Nice lookin' Pete, boss.

All this talk about R&B is gonna make me explode!

AAMOF I'm getting out my R&B tunes right now.

TOP 40th year Anniversary. Ya, that outta do it!

8)

Cheers,

RR

OK, OK, it's yummy.......

Y'all have twisted my arm to get a tin for now, and a tin for 'later'

I hope you're satisfied........ A bad influence you have become, yes.....

(smirk)

Woops!!

Boy, I got shut down on that in a hurry.........

Got a pipe recently, I guess I don't get any tobacco this month, my 'splurge fund is on hold"....

Well, it IS a nice pipe I got from Kaitlyn, after all, and I do have tobacco..........

sigh.

soon............

Finally "got a round tuit" and burned a bowl of R&B in my new Tinsky '15 POTY.

Took equal amounts of the red and stoved flakes, rubbed them out, and left to dry for a little while. They come at virtually the perfect moisture level, but I do prefer mine on the dry side.

Quite nice, and it took only a few relights to get to the bottom of the bowl. Have to say however that the Tinsky is just being broken in so that will affect how it goes until a cake is built up.

Much to my surprise, the POTY came with a bowl coating! I've never known Mark's pipes to come standard with this so I never think to specify no bowl coating. I'm one that prefers to not have one.

Yet I don't feel it affected the 'baccy negatively. And to be fair my palate was pretty compromised as it usually is after last night's onslaught of Revor!

Also have to say that the R&B seemed to have a fair amount of lady nic. I did have to put the pipe down halfway and DGT the rest a while later. There again I'm a lightweight when it comes to nic!

I'll be continuing to explore the R&B in the Tinsky over the next days. So far so good!

Cheers,

RR

Popped my tin of this yesterday. Very nice! Good tang throughout and an adequate amount of sweetness that played off the zing very well. Left my tongue with a little tickle which was not at all bad. I'll be through with this tin in no time, I believe.

Lord Guyrox":41ibxtw2 said:
Just curious,...Are people's enthousiasm for this flake still maintained?
Since I got my first tins back in September I've gone thru 4 tins of it and now have at least two bowls of it every day !! As long as they continue to produce it I'll keep smoking it !! :twisted: :twisted:

i just popped a tin of RB which Mr. Blackhorse was so kind to bomb me with. i spent the majority of Xmas sick with the flu, so I'd been holding off until I could actually taste it. i finally have, and it's good stuff!

it has that sweet and sour vibe to it that McC virginias tend to have. Tangy perhaps?  I've tried it mixed 50/50, and also only the Red Va. flakes by themselves. Next is to have a bowl of just the stoved Va. More smooth than strong, and really must be smoked slowly to get the most from it. Ipersonally love Red Virginias so this one is a terrific addition to the genre! :cheers:

Thank you, Cheval Noir!

I don't give tobacco reviews, just my own opinion. I purchased two tins in hope the hoopla was correct. Needless to say I didn't care for it that much. Just seemed like two McC blends package together. There are some McC blends I do like but, this wasn't one of them. Okay to smoke if I haven't anything else I reckon, no hoopla here. Won't purchase it again. :roll:
Gona put some age on them and see if it improves.

Finished off the first tin and was happy enough. Got me one more that I'll wait a bit before opening to see what age does.

Have a suspicion that this is indeed two different already available flakes presented in one tin. NTTAWWT.

That's all I got!

Cheers,

RR