Meer experts...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Received what I believe to be an african meerschaum - the honey colored kind with the factory darkened rim and a sort of rusticated surface. I am assuming Manx Meerschaum.

Marking on stummel is a clear LT possibly a disfigured B a space in front.

Mouthpiece is something like a p-lip.

Speak, O wise ones.

If it's an actual Manx, it will be stamped as such on the metal band. If it has the band. I believe mine also has the symbol of 3 legs in a circle. I will have to double check when I go to the cellar. But I have had Manx, Peterson, and Barling that all could have come from the same carvers, they were that similar. All I have had were fishtails and not P Lips.

I'm thinking it's a factory 2nd of some kind - the pipe looks like the ones I've seen from Manx.... the brass band and the rustication and the darkened rim.

But no markings on the band, and it kind of looks like it got polished through to steel.

Carlos, do your Manx Meers have a sort of sleeve which the tenon slides into inside the shank?

Sasquatch":z25b069v said:
I'm thinking it's a factory 2nd of some kind - the pipe looks like the ones I've seen from Manx.... the brass band and the rustication and the darkened rim.

But no markings on the band, and it kind of looks like it got polished through to steel.

Carlos, do your Manx Meers have a sort of sleeve which the tenon slides into inside the shank?

Yes. There is a black fitting that the tenon slides into. I think my band must be nickel plated brass. On the bit and the band is a figure that looks like three legs, bent and arranged in a circle. Like they were running.

I'm thinking that this pipe was made for some other company or was a 2nd and never got hallmarked on the metal.

There seems to be nothing wrong with it other than that the band is not very pretty. I'm sure it's worth the 5.49 my mom probably paid for it at the flea market (or wherever the hell she found it).

My old Manx meer.

manx_m10.jpg

That pipe looks like it still has years of use left in it,they are indestructible.
Even if your house burned down that pipe would survive. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

Looking in mine, I had that same feeling - I could smoke 1000 bowls out of this and it wouldn't change.

I have been following this thread and must admit that the information is very interesting.