Meerschaum coloring-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I just bought my first Meerschaum Pipe and have been reading other website blogs about care and upkeep of the pipe. Several people talk about the eventual coloring of the outside and to only hold the pipe by the stem so your fingers oils wouldnt interfere with the natural coloring over time. What exactly are they talking about? And what will my pipe look like after it is "coloured with age" and how long will this process take?
Thanks in advance for you Meer experts out there....

How much and how quickly it colors will depend on how often you smoke it. Nice thing with meers, you don't have to rest them like you do a briar, so smoke away!

It will start to turn a goldenish/brownish over time. If you google "meerschaum coloring" or something along those lines, you'll probably find an example. One of the board members here has a photo of a colored meer as his avatar, it's a good example. I just can't recall which member it is :confused:

As for the holding it by the stem and not with your hands, others will disagree but I call road apples on that. Smoke the thing, hold it with your hands, enjoy it.

Just be sure to keep your hands clean. The wax on it will protect the meer and over time it will all even out but it does take time. Look at the bright side, you get to smoke a lot of great tobacco and watch it slowly color. The stem , most of the time, goes first. I have more than several meer that I try to smoke regularly and watct them color. I have one that a little funny, Its a huge Indian head thats very well carved, details and all. The first thing to stat colorong is the nose and cheek bones. I love to watch this develope. The bowl is .75 wide and 2.23 deep. A good long smoke :bounce: :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :affraid:

hazmat":dfyt40s7 said:
How much and how quickly it colors will depend on how often you smoke it. Nice thing with meers, you don't have to rest them like you do a briar, so smoke away!

It will start to turn a goldenish/brownish over time. If you google "meerschaum coloring" or something along those lines, you'll probably find an example. One of the board members here has a photo of a colored meer as his avatar, it's a good example. I just can't recall which member it is :confused:

As for the holding it by the stem and not with your hands, others will disagree but I call road apples on that. Smoke the thing, hold it with your hands, enjoy it.

The one you are refering to is Bill. It sure is a beautful colored pipe :sunny: :sunny: 8)

GregE":w8un854h said:
I just bought my first Meerschaum Pipe and have been reading other website blogs about care and upkeep of the pipe. Several people talk about the eventual coloring of the outside and to only hold the pipe by the stem so your fingers oils wouldnt interfere with the natural coloring over time. What exactly are they talking about? And what will my pipe look like after it is "coloured with age" and how long will this process take?
Thanks in advance for you Meer experts out there....
Keep it clean, don't allow cake to build up in the chamber and hold it by the stem for the first few weeks until the wax gets soaked up into the pores and it will look like the one in my photo. Quality of stone plays a huge part as well.

hazmat":nhi31lgx said:
Right on! I bought the thing to smoke and enjoy. If I want a museum piece I'll buy something that isn't begging to be used.

-Andrew