Meerschaum inserts in the bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grt

Reaction score
I recently came.across add for meerschaum insert into.the bowl.that. is supposed to make briar pipes smoke like.a meerschaum pipe, cooler, etc. Than a,briar. Apparently there. Is space between the bottom of this device.and the bottom.of the bowl. I.am always looking for.ways to decrease any health risks associated with pipe smoking as well as the heat/tongue bite aspects. Does anyone have any.thoughts or opinions on these meerschaum bowl.inserts? I've ordered some.to.try.them.out.as I hsve.a collection of Dunhill pipes that have simply become too.hot for me to smoke,to my chagrin.

I have several briar pipes that have a meerschaum lining that is manufactured into them. I like the ones I have very much and smoke them often. Granted this is based on what I paid for them whether they were individual purchases or in a pipe lot.

Drawback is they are made from pressed meerschaum and not drilled from block which is more absorbent.

They work. I used them when first starting smoking years ago. The "filter" isn't a filter at all (the smoke doesn't go through it), but rather just a disposable paper sleeve that sucks up moisture and dissipates it as you smoke. They don't require removal every smoke, and their cost is, or was, negligible. I didn't care esthetically for the way the stem joins the shank, so I quit using them. Put it this way: they are decent smokers and might be useful to beginners, but the apparatus is unnecessary for those of us who have acquired god-like abilities from experience. Quality of briar is mediocre, but they're OK. Actually, I think I might recommend them for the novice, second only to the immortal cob.

I'm more than old enough to remember the old B & W ads featuring "Doctor" E. A. Carey and his magic pipe!!! Sold quite a few when I did such in the 60's. Point was the little hole (or holes, depending on model) was supposed to introduce a "puff of cool air" into the shank/stem to help get rid of moisture (hence the paper insert) and "cool" the smoke! The newer Amphoras may do the same; never came across one. Personally, I dump the Carey's in with Medico, "The Pipe," Yello-Bowl, and most any filtered pipe; just some sort of gimmick. But that's just me, if you like'em; smoke'em!!! The Carey's are not going to give you the greatest briar, pretty common as a rule. I've forgotten where they are made. At one time, I think they were produced either in Sparta, NC (Dr. Grabow, etc.) or Barstow, OK (various brands). Again, personally, I'd much rather have a good cob!!!!:cheers: FTRPLT

No pipe. But no gambling either. It’s a draw.

I recently came.across add for meerschaum insert into.the bowl.that. is supposed to make briar pipes smoke like.a meerschaum pipe, cooler, etc. Than a,briar. Apparently there. Is space between the bottom of this device.and the bottom.of the bowl. I.am always looking for.ways to decrease any health risks associated with pipe smoking as well as the heat/tongue bite aspects. Does anyone have any.thoughts or opinions on these meerschaum bowl.inserts? I've ordered some.to.try.them.out.as I hsve.a collection of Dunhill pipes that have simply become too.hot for me to smoke,to my chagrin.

Ps. I will add that the seller of the meerschaum bowl.filters claims they will make.a briar pipe smoke cool and dry as if it.were a,meerschaum. I have a,nice collection of Dunhills and other pipes I've had since before I knew what a pipe filter was and before I knew what tongue bite was or had experienced it. I'd like to smoke those Dunhills on the theory that anything that cost that much, even 20 years ago when I bought them,.must be something special. But without a way to cool.them, I couldn't smoke one for five minutes now.
Having a link to the kind of insert you’re talking about would help greatly. Otherwise we’re kind of shooting in the dark.
I'll try to find it. Didn't make note of it. One of those weehours finds.

Since posting my question my order for a few of these items arrived from Turkey. Tried 2 and seemed to work but will take more trying out to really know. Drawbacks: they can be difficult to remove once settled o
In the bowl. Can also.be difficult to.get
Settled into.the bowl. Real effectiveness still open to question as I battle Covid 19. Cheers, folks.

Meerschaum is also found in some 6 & 9mm cartridge filters (e.g., White Elephant, a German company which also sells filter pipes) so there may be some risk reduction for a lined pipe. I've found the main advantage to be that meerschaum doesn't require breaking in. The pipe is good to go from the start. Also a meerschaum lined pipe may be sturdier than a meerschaum pipe which breaks easily when dropped on a hard surface.