Meerschaum Repair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
G’day one and all, I’ve got a bit of a problem and would like some advice. I’ve a meer that has a vulcanite shim for the stem to push into that has come loose.

The shim goes into the stummel to avoid wear on the meer. I’ve tried PVA glue and let it cure for three days, however the shim came out when I removed the stem for cleaning after the pipe had cooled. Does anyone have any glue suggestions to fix the shim in place that are safe to smoke afterwards?

Thanks

Tim

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I’ll drop Jesse a note when he gets back from the Chicago show.

Tim, it seems to me the issue is the smooth surface of the vulcanite insert. Rough it up with a file or coarse sandpaper that will help. As to "glue" the traditional item used on meers is egg white. It will take some time to dry but should do the trick nicely.

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim, I didn’t know that about egg white. The pipe is on it’s way to Jesse to fix up as I didn’t want bugger the pipe up as it is a grand little smoker.

Cheers

Tim