Meeting my brother for the first time.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
This is one of those “hang on boys, we’re in for a bumpy ride” kind of thing. Also...what a difference a day makes.

Back story: My wife got me a 23andMe DNA testing kit as a Christmas present. See, as I am adopted and not knowing anything at all about my biological parents we have been wanting to get some kind of medical history or background. This especially for our two children. The DNA health testing can show predispositions to a wide variety of diseases, conditions, etc.

So I sent in my sample and waited. It came back fairly quickly and provided the following information:

1. even though I have a number of primarily age related conditions there were ZERO genetic markers for my being predisposed to anything. Well, that’s cool. Good news.
2. Oh...and by the way...I have a biological brother - with close to a 50% DNA match. Um, that level of identical DNA is indicative of being fraternal twins (identical twins = a 100% match).

Now, if I am able to see that I have a match out there, he gets the same information. Oh my! Further, since the 23andMe site has a built in system for sending PM’s like this site does I sent him a “hi there” message. The message was returned within a day. It turns out that this is a kind of mutual OMG situation.

Long-ish story made short - gleaned from a few emails back and forth, at least my birth mother (who must be in her 90’s anyway) is still alive - and in addition to the brother I apparently have two sisters. The brother lives in the Bay Area (San Francisco) and is planning on driving up to our area with his son for a meet and greet...which is set for this Thursday.

Amazing? Yup.

Dave, this is H U G E !

Great news on the genetic markers, but at the click of a mouse you have a mum, a brother and two sisters. Cripes!

I'm really excited to hear how Thu goes! I'll be thinking of you!

Well...WOW. Must be exciting to know you have a brother. I wonder if he is as fine a man as you are..then there would be two of you in the world...be interesting to see if he has the same likes and dislikes...can't imagine what a wonderful surprise this must have been for you.

Amazing!!

If he is a pipe smoker, you will have to share some of your House of Calabash stash. :D

Absolutely amazing news there Dave!!! I hope the meet n greet goes well. I can't imagine how you must feel going from no family at all to.......this. You are in my thoughts and prayers brother.

Jim

Thanks...all y’all, for the kind comments.  I do have an adoptive brother that I grew up with.  But we are like 7Up vs Pepsi...like hot dogs vs hamburgers.  Or maybe it’s more like 7Up vs chocolate milk and hot dogs vs lasagna.  We’re that different.  I’m tall, dark and handsome while he’s short, blond and well, whatever. I liked school and did well while he’s essentially a drop out. We don’t like any of the same things.  We’re oil and water in nearly every way.  So yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how much this brother and I share traits and preferences.

I should give y’all his email address so you could send my new found brother glowing comments and stories of how wonderful I am.  He’s already commented that his first goal is to protect his family’s (especially “mom’s”) privacy.  By which he means from me.  But I completely understand his caution and concern as I would feel just the same.  It sounds like there might be some kind of back story there - so yeah, it’ll be interesting to say the least.

Wow mate, that is some stunning news. I’m still picking my jaw up from the floor. I hope the meet up goes well for you guys.

Cheers

Tim

That's really incredible. 10 years ago, that would have never have been possible. Enjoy the reunion!