Meeting my brother for the first time.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorse":e33m64ff said:
Brewdude":e33m64ff said:
What a kick Dave. Learning about family you never knew you had until just now. Hope you can arrange to meet everyone else, including and especially your biological mom.

So does your brother resemble you physically?

Cheers,

RR

In some ways yes, in some ways no.  If we stood side by side it’s unlikely that you would think we’re brothers...but we both have certain things that very few other people in the general population have. Most notably a gap between our front teeth...which both Mom and one sister have as well. But other things as well.  Plus, every person that has seen pics of my nephew and my son say they really resemble each other.  But that’s kind of a generalized thing instead of very specific things.
In any event, good to know things are working out!

It makes me glad to know this is going well for you. I hope you can build relationship there. Coming from a large family, I can tell you it is one of the joys in life.

This is a amazing story. I’m glad that it’s coming up roses for you. Does your brother like pipes too?

Most excellent sir! Sounds like your reunion went well! Congratulations :cheers:

Zanaspus":wwwtotpi said:
Dave, this story belongs on Sunday Morning! Call them.
If they want the story out to the general public, have 23andme pay them to use their story in ads. 8)

DrT999":17d7crcq said:
Zanaspus":17d7crcq said:
Dave, this story belongs on Sunday Morning! Call them.
If they want the story out to the general public, have 23andme pay them to use their story in ads. 8)
Good call.

My story is actually not that unusual for 23andMe. Currently over 12 million people have used one of the big four DNA testing systems and that has resulted in quite a number finding blood relatives.

Plus - we are not interested in having our story made public.

My birth mother (92 y.o.) is not aware of this and neither of us has worked out whether she will ever be told.  For over seventy years it has been our parents choice not to bring this forward - and we are currently honoring that choice...privately.

That turned out great and is very inspiring. This entices me to do the same now. Thank you for sharing.

I read this thread with great interest as it unfolded much like a short story. I do hope things have gone well for you and your newfound relations in the weeks that have passed, Blackhorse.

I’ve only met my brother and his son in person that one time...and a sister via a short phone call. Following that initial meeting, after my brother went back to San Francisco, I’ve only heard from him once. That in response to some photos I sent him. He hasn’t given me his address or phone number. Disappointing.

GeoffC":ib6ti5bt said:
Sorry to hear that . . .

Well, he WAS going on some cruise thing with “mom” which might be getting in the way. And, not to be a whiner, the finding, the knowing and the meeting are all FAR more than I had before. And I never expected ANYTHING. So - Que sera sera.

Just found this thread. I missed it somehow when I perused the topics somehow.

What an interesting story. One would like to think that the meeting with an unknown sibling would be a wonderful thing, but of course it could go the other way too.

I have an estranged brother who abandoned the family some years ago. Very strange thing as he abandoned his Mother, his sister, me and even his biological daughter. Mental issues are certainly at play. I mention it only because even close family ties can come unravelled. Ours certainly did.