Mepis v/s Ubuntu

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I have had Ubuntu installed on my laptops for some time. Lately for whatever reason I've been looking at Mepis, probably because Dell is backing Ubuntu now... They are both Debian based is there any major diffs in the Distributions? Pro's/Con's?

I know you use Mepis Carlos is there a particular reason you picked it?

Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop. I like KDE. Every time I have tried Gnome, I ended up switching to KDE. Kubuntu is not as well polished as SimplyMEPIS 7.0 The Mepis utilities make the OS much easier to use with one exception. The Nvidia driver. Ubuntu has an easy Nvidia driver installer. If you don't need it for 3D, you will be just fine. If you want it in Mepis, be prepared to have to do it one of two ways and fix the X system after the first time.

In Mepis you only have to enable a repository and install the necessary packages (programs) to have full multi-media with the non-free software.

An important thing to do, when you load the live CD/ROM, hit F3 and choose your resolution at that point. Load the OS live and then install. It should then be in your preferred resolution. Text sizes should be perfect for your system.

I had trouble with an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard due to the Intel 965 chipset. I had to trick it to get it to install. But it's working great as my main system now. On older hardware, it's flawless on the install. Other chipsets may not be a problem either.

I do all my surfing and email in Linux. I game in Windows 2000. So several of my systems are dual-boot. Load Windows first, then Mepis and choose the default locations for Grub. It should pick it up just fine. The Mepis Lovers forum should have all the info you need for your questions.

On any hardware, but especially older systems, try AntiX 7. it's using the Mepis utilities with the Fluxbox desktop. You can use the Ice weasel/Fire Fox browser and even Thunderbird no problem. Fluxbox is a bit different. Use the right-click to get the main menu up. Very fast and smaller install. Works great on new hardware too.

Oh, and Ubuntu does not use a Root password. Mepis is more Debian like in that it does use the usual separate user and Root passwords.

Also, just a short note on customizing your browser. Works for both Ice Weasel and Fire Fox.

I use Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and ForecastFox. Adblock Plus will allow you to block those pesty ads and frames. Flashblock blocks the automatic downloading and running of any flash. But if you want to view the flash, click on the arrow that appears. Saves bandwidth.

Having a bit of trouble adjusting to KDE and Mepis.. Very unlike Ubuntu.

On Ubuntu when you visit the repository everything you collect goes into the menu, not so Mepis, at least not so from the default settings.. Had to go to usr and retrieve the stuff,still havent figured out how to put it in my menu area. Would much rather it just 'go' where its supposed to.

For convenience I would just stick to Ubuntu. Mepis has a bunch of what I would call "issues" that make for a few frustrations along the way.

puros_bran":7yu5vb6f said:
Having a bit of trouble adjusting to KDE and Mepis.. Very unlike Ubuntu.

On Ubuntu when you visit the repository everything you collect goes into the menu, not so Mepis, at least not so from the default settings.. Had to go to usr and retrieve the stuff,still havent figured out how to put it in my menu area. Would much rather it just 'go' where its supposed to.
Not sure what you are referring to. I never scroll the menus. Well, except the first time looking for the libraries and stuff to enable full multi-media. I like Adobe Reader (Acroread) also.

When I open Synaptic, I enable the Debian multi-media repository. After that, I am just using the Reload, Updates, Apply sets. I never deal with any menus other than 'All'. Guess I have not seen any reason too. Except for the initial install, I only go there when the APT Notify applet tells me there are updates.

slartie":8e6o5eiw said:
For convenience I would just stick to Ubuntu. Mepis has a bunch of what I would call "issues" that make for a few frustrations along the way.

I haven't seen any issues. I know some folks don't like Warren. Not sure of the reasons, and don't really care for their reasons of dislike. Worries about violations of the GPL or non-free software are unfounded, or SimplyMEPIS wouldn't be here today. A lot of talk, no substance.

Warren Woodford puts out an excellent distribution. I have had a few difficulties over the past 5 years of using it. A couple versions didn't like my hardware working with newer than Blackdown Java, which prevented me from accessing certain chatrooms. But those always got solved. This is on at least 8 boxes, so I have plenty of experience using it.

7.0 is, for me, well polished. When I set the resolution at the start of the live cd, I don't have to spend weeks trying to tweak menus and toolbars so I can see them. Things work. I don't worry about open an application or applet from the main menu and it not working. I have those issues with Kubuntu.

I am always testing new distributions. I have the latest Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Puppy, AntiX, and Sabayon 64. Helps to have multiple machines. If I find something better than Mepis, I will use it.

I dont think there is a 'better'.. MS, Mac, all the various Linux.. It really all comes down to what you like.

I liked Mandrake and RedHat back in the days when installing Linux was a joy :evil: This pluganplay stuff is ok but it has caused me to forget how to do alot of things.

I took a class in college. We used Redhat. I had played with it quite a bit. But the course really taught us to use the Terminal and VI/VIM. We spent almost no time learning to get packages or updating the OS. No playing with the desktop even.

I used Redhat, Mandrake and Fedora. But I prefer the Debian method of updating packages with APT/Synaptic. Just something I prefer.

Great thing about Linux. Choices.