Metal Detecting Hobby

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanubutter

Reaction score
This is my latest hobby in the outdoors and a tiny bit of exercise. No treasures have been found yet but the local park is being cleaned up from the soda cans and pulltabs. The next adventure will be in BLM areas here in the west. I get some inspiration from videos by Green Mountain Metal Detecting and Terra Hollandia. Some amazing finds and history lessons to boot.

Maybe you’ll be like that old sod over in England that stumbled into a huge crop field LOADED with Saxon or Celtic or whatever artifacts. Everything was gold and precious or semiprecious stones. Sword hilts, broaches, armor fittings, loads of horse rigging pieces…literally thousands of pieces.

The last or so, I had noticed a trend of people out metal detecting, during the lock down times. You should try and think of what used to be around where you live. A lot of newer developments are built on top of old places. Getting permission to search around old farmsteads isn’t hard. They usually yield cool old coins and various bits of history.

Fill your holes. Take your trash and treasures with you.

We had a guy come through checking our little common area park. Guess he got disgusted with the junk metal and left it laying on the ground. Had I not paid attention I could have easily destroyed a mower deck.

That is hopefully an exception. The detecting community members I’ve met are VERY committed to taking all the trash away with them and in carefully filling their holes back in. A good bunch of people.

There are quite a number of detector-ing channels on YouTube that are fun. Most are well done.

the Staffordshire Hoard…

I take most of the trash, the items I have dug up. There is so much trash that the county would have to pay me to clean up everything. I have seen the videos and the items found are fascinating. Yesterday I spent time at the neighbor's lot looking for the rebar lot markings. It was easy to find one next to the road but the one by a chain link fence was a no-go.

Yay , this awesome site has something for everyone's interests other than pipes.
I have a minelab 705 and have been detecting for 40 years. Love seeing the finds from the UK as you guys have soooo much history, as well I have a good mate in the states that finds some awesome civil war relics. Post some finds guys n gals.

1676902418217.png

I take most of the trash, the items I have dug up. There is so much trash that the county would have to pay me to clean up everything. I have seen the videos and the items found are fascinating. Yesterday I spent time at the neighbor's lot looking for the rebar lot markings. It was easy to find one next to the road but the one by a chain link fence was a no-go.
Recently I got asked to find a horse shoe in a muddy round fence yard , we are handy people to know hey PB (y) (y)