Metal Lined bowls

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I was on ebay earlier and saw some Ukrainian pipes with the hinged covers over the top. Peculiar to that region, they line their pipe bowls inside with a metal sheath. Of course I see the problem with getting a carbon layer, but the carbon layer is mainly just for the protection of the briar wood right? What is anyones experience with a metal lined bowl? These style of pipes vary from cheap to expensive and they have the metal lined bowl as a common denominator peculiar to that part of the world. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this...I was going to try one as a novelty....I have a sailboat and there is lots of spray in the cockpit when I heel over going upwind....I like the hinged top to keep the fire dry....I am also playing with some bavarian pipes that hinge on the top.....
Just was interested in comments from the saged wisdom of the group.

Those pipes are like souvenier junk they sell at tourist traps.There are good
pipes with hinged wind caps and they cost some money or there are clip on
wind screens available at many on line retailers that are only a dollar or two.

Winslow :sunny:

Greg...Heed Winslow...Do not waste your $$ on this junk. :no: You really want to smoke your tobacco in a metal bowl?? A metal wind cap is one thing; this is just a come on! :evil: My 2 cents worth!! FTRPLT

The only metal bowls I have ever seen were not for the purpose of smoking tobacco, and generally came from a head shop. :) That being said I had the opportunity to use a large glass bowled pipe (belonged to a neighbor who used it for its "intended" plant matter later) that was a joy to smoke out of. Not worth gettin caught with paraphernalia though. ;)
I second avoiding these pipes unless you want something just to look at. I would think the metal flavor would be just plain nasty.
Dan

I have a "the pipe" bowl without the stem. They're supposed to be made out of "space age metal". I have been toying with getting a stem so I can try it, but anything I have read about it, shares that they present a terrible smoke. But there are some who collect "the pipe".

Several months ago I got an estate pipe rack from off one those antiques and collectables sites. Had two or three pipes in it, one of them 'the pipe'. Something was plugging the shank, when I finally got a cleaner thru it after soaking in everclear overnite, a seed that looked vaguely familiar from waayyy back fell out. I went ahead and cleaned it good and havn't been desperate enough to try it out yet but don't anticipate a good smoke.

Bd

Never Forget!

The 'metal' taste wouldn't be the worse part...

Heath Root is used to make pipes because it breathes (well its fire resistence too)
A metal lining would prevent it from 'breathing' and would most likely result in constantly wet smokes.

I'd pass regardless of how cheap they were.

Now www.pipesandcigars.com and several others sell those little wind screens someone already mentioned. They work! They would be perfect for your intended purpose.

GregE, when ya go looking for those metal wind caps, make sure and specify 'cap' as opposed to 'screen'. If you go into a B & M in person they should know. One of our brothers on the forum here picked up some 'wind screens' a few months ago to take camping and was confused cause there wrnt any little squeeze tabs to insert them into the bowl and hold them in. The ones you want actually look kind of like a miniature upside down sink strainer with two tiny sprung finger tabs which can be gently pried open or closed just a little for larger or smaller bowl diameters. Can't recall who got those 'screens, but they are made to put in the bottom of a bowl to keep seeds like that one I mentioned in my above post from lodging in the shank or your throat. I read all that in a book years ago. :suspect:
Bruce

FWIW....Those "The Pipes" had graphite bowls; you know, the stuff in wooden pencils or that you use to lubricate your garage door opener. These things came out in the 60's while I was working in a pipe shop. We sold quite a few of them; people kinda thought the colors were "cute!" I do not remember anyone who bought one enjoying the way it smoked!! The usual customer comment was "Why did you let me buy that thing??" :lol!: FTRPLT

Slow Puffs":k342t7ot said:
I have a "the pipe" bowl without the stem. They're supposed to be made out of "space age metal". I have been toying with getting a stem so I can try it, but anything I have read about it, shares that they present a terrible smoke. But there are some who collect "the pipe".
Yea, but you can throw it in the dishwasher to clean it out. I tried that with my virgin WWI Dunhill and it didn't come out so good! :mrgreen:

Natch