Meteor in Russia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...don't forget, Veet, the possibility of fake fragments being "found" by cheeky Russians between now and whenever, too... :lol: Just you wait.

Kyle Weiss":y2qe3o0v said:
...don't forget, Veet, the possibility of fake fragments being "found" by cheeky Russians between now and whenever, too... :lol: Just you wait.
I admit that the thought never occurred to me, Kyle. More proof of Vitonian mutancy, I guess. :mrgreen:

It seems to me, though, that such fakery is inevitably doomed to fail. Fragments will be subjected to all kinds of chemical physical, and spectroscopic analysis. As more and more fragments are found and analyzed, a characteristic physical profile of genuine fragments will gradually emerge. Fakes will become increasingly easy to detect. Anyone who seeks fame through fakery will ultimately reap notoriety.

:joker:

Even 15 minutes of Russian fame is worth it to some wudka-soaked comrade... :lol!:

Kyle Weiss":sesz52hd said:
Even 15 minutes of Russian fame is worth it to some wudka-soaked comrade... :lol!:
Prolly so, but it doesn't take spirits of potato to induce such lust for ego gratification.

All it takes is a mind sufficiently deluded not to realize that the vainglorious "self" is an ephemeral fiction.

As you well know, the Russians don't have an exclusive lock on that kind of delusion.

No, no they don't. In fact, they aren't even predicated to such goals--but when they do, boy, do they. :lol:

Might be some foreign visitor expert that "finds" it. Then the Ruskie Mafia will throw him in that lake with the hole in it. :lol:

kaiser83":3s2gpuge said:
And the last dinosaur just died.
I wish that were true. Out here in California, we still have large concentrations of them in Hackramento. :x

Just managed to get a "Buy t Now" in for a four KG piece of the Russian meteorite on Ebay! Hurry cause seller only has seven more pieces left!!

Some updated factoids on the recent asteroids, including the one that became the Russian meteor. :mrgreen:

Meteor5.png

I'm sure the chances of a meteor that large, AND the asteroid passing so closely (one a little more directly) to earth are...*ahem*...astronomical. Which is cool, because, hey, it happened, and from what I gather, they're unconnected. Which means it's just a really unique happenstance.

You know, guided by the Illuminati.

8)

I found a video where Bill Nye ("The Science Guy") said that a difference of 15 minutes in the Earth's orbital position would have resulted in a collision with 2012 DA14. YIKES!!

But the good news is that, for the first time in history, we humanoids actually have the capability of preventing such an impact. Here's why:
  • There is a huge worldwide network of amateur astronomers who are looking for these objects and mapping them.
  • Once they're identified, the information is shared with the rest of the network...including "official government" agencies.
  • The trajectory of each object can be calculated with sufficient accuracy to determine whether a collision will occur (...a word of thanks to Isaac Newton ;) ).
  • It's not necessary to destroy an object in order to prevent a collision. We already have numerous technologies available that are capable of nudging its course by a fraction of a degree to turn a hit into a miss.
Of course, the smaller they are, the harder they are to detect. But then the smaller they are, the more likely they are to burn up (like the Russian meteor) or to cause relatively little damage. The bottom line is that I'm not losing any sleep over an asteroid collision. :mrgreen:

...but if they predicted a trajectory that, say, were to hit North Korea... *shrug* :conspiracyface: :lol: