Methods for Removing Rim Darkening

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy friends,

I was hoping to solicit some suggestions or capitalize on the long-time experience of some of our members.  Typically, when I get some rim darkening on my pipes and wish to clean them, I just give them a good wipedown with saliva and a paper towel.  What (if any) other methods do you gentlemen/women use to keep the rims of your briars looking fresh?  Are there some other techniques that can be used to clean up rim darkening that work better than the old spit-and-polish method?

Thanks in advance for the input.

BB

Briar blues youtube channel has a couple videos. I'm not as rigid with technique, but it is a good one nonetheless.

Yup. The digestive enzyme “salivary amylase” is a fair solvent for the rim tar that builds up. Lots of spit on a firm towel, etc. and some good old elbow grease will work.

Blackhorse":mjuud0z7 said:
Yup.  The digestive enzyme “salivary amylase” is a fair solvent for the rim tar that builds up.  Lots of spit on a firm towel, etc. and some good old elbow grease will work.
Yup. This is what I do.

I also use cold strong coffee that I wet a rag with and clean the tar off...some invert the rim of the chamber in cold coffee for a couple hours and it wipes right off...never had any issues arise from that method.

pepesdad1":0981viua said:
I also use cold strong coffee that I wet a rag with and clean the tar off...some invert the rim of the chamber in cold coffee for a couple hours and it wipes right off...never had any issues arise from that method.
I haven't heard of this method before, Pepesdad1. Thanks for sharing.

My own 2 cents - I've used saliva for basic rim tar removal, and alcohol for more stubborn gunk. 0000 steel wool also does a fine job scrubbing off those nasty rim accretions without harming the briar underneath, though you'll want to work gently anyway.

Actual charred briar is a whole different matter. Some pipes tend toward charring on the rear of the rim, due simply to the angle at which they are held/clenched while smoking. Ideally, the bowl remains upright during a smoke, but that's not usually the reality. Actual burnt briar will not lighten. If it bugs you, it usually needs to be sanded out.

For those really stubborn rims a grinder might be needed. Of course the bowl height diminishes pretty quickly.

Blackhorse":b7389bos said:
Yup.  The digestive enzyme “salivary amylase” is a fair solvent for the rim tar that builds up.  Lots of spit on a firm towel, etc. and some good old elbow grease will work.
+3